Seventy-Three

Tarquin had indeed brought me to one of the many vaults I'd seen earlier. One of the finer ones too.

    I paid careful attention as to how Tarquin unlocked it. He had held his hand up to the wall, summoning his power as it had raced through the room in tidal waves. A lock had clicked, and suddenly I was facing a hall of gold and jewels. A room of treasure so fast I had nearly gawked at it.

    "And this is just one of the troves?" I questioned, albeit a bit breathily. There were six. Six I had found just in this palace.

    Tarquin loosed a chuckle, "My ancestors were greedy bastards."

    I shook my head, slowly striding to one of the many shelves. Boxes overflowed with gold, shelves stacked with jewels, suits of armor against the wall, swords, and daggers of every sort. But no books. Not one.

    "Do you know the history behind each piece?" I asked.

    "Some," he answered, "I haven't had much time to learn about it all."

    Good. Maybe he didn't know about the book. About its significance.

    I turned in a circle, my eyes greedily searching every small detail. "What's the most valuable thing in here?"

    "Thinking of stealing?" Tarquin questioned jokingly. Though the true answer was yes.

    I let out a small laugh, "Asking that question would make me a very lousy thief, would it not?"

    Or just tactic.

    Tarquin studied me. "I'd say I'm looking at the most valuable thing in here."

Charmer.

    I looked at him, a flirtatious smile on my face. "You're very kind, High Lord."

    His smile was very soft. "Honestly, I don't know the most valuable thing in here. These are all priceless heirlooms of my house."

    I walked up to a shelf of very dazzling necklaces, each of them adorned with different stones and patterns. Rubies the size of robin eggs, pearls, sapphires...black diamonds.

    I was drawn to the dark stones. Each of them like a void. Each of them like home. If I hadn't known I was looking for a book, I would have thought this was the object I was looking for. It called to me. Foe or friend, I didn't know. Didn't care.

    Tarquin came up behind, peering over my shoulder at the object of my eye. "Take it." He spoke.

    "What?" I whirled to him. This necklace could be hundreds of years old. Could have been an irreplaceable object, and he was telling me to 'take it'?

    He rubbed the back of his neck. "As a thank you. For Under the Mountain." He pulled the box from its resting spot, shutting the lid before handing it to me. "You were the first person who didn't laugh at my idea to break down class barriers. Even Cresseida snickered when I told her. If you wont accept the necklace for saving us, then take it for that."

    "It is a good idea, Tarquin. An idea that shouldn't be laughed at. Do not reward me for being honest."

    He shook his head, "Just take it."

    I took a breath, sparing him a soft close-lipped smile that was very much real. "Thank you." I said, closing my hands around the box.

    "It will suit you in the Night Court."

    It would.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

A/N: This chapter is so rushed, only bc the next chapter has a bit of spice, and I'm excited to write itttttt