Hundred-Thirty-One

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"She is fire and ice

"She is fire and ice. You'll feel the cold and crave the burn."

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Danika

Danika

        THE KING had given me my orders. Stijin, tagging along to oversee that I truly was under Hybern's control. Along with more of the Flame's soldiers—of which included Astrid, Flynn—and Eira, sadly.

I was forced to return to Spring Court, as per the lines of Tamlin and the king's bargain—much to my dismay, it would have been more beneficial to stay in Hybern, but I supposed could make due with working from a distance.

My orders were to make sure things went smoothly, rid of the hiccups during the process...eliminate those who got in the way.

We slammed into the too suffocating scenery of the Spring Court. Nausea roiling within me as I gazed at the metal gates of the manor—this prison. This hell.

I would do this. And I would do it well.

I squared my shoulders, Stijin and the others landing shortly behind us as they were winnowed in by Eira.

I had forgotten how quiet it was here. How small. How empty. How disgusting it was.

A pretty, rose-covered prison.

Still, I remained impassive, hands clasped in front of me. Tamlin turned, I felt his body shift to face me. Tense and uptight. "As...grateful as I am to have you home, Danika, I must make some things clear." he stated as I turned my head to face him, "I do not want you getting in the way of this operation, if this is to work, I need you—"

He was cut off as I slammed him into the tree behind him by his neck. Choking him effectively. He clawed at the hand I held to his throat as those behind us drew their weapons. "Let me make myself clear, High Lord. I serve my king." I hissed, "He is who commands me, not you, and you will do as I say because I outrank you. I am overseeing this operation. High Lord, you will sit on the side while I do my job." I cocked my head, watching with a sick, hidden glee as his face began to blue, "Are we clear?"

He nodded with a new fervor, still prying at my hand that would not move. I was the strong one now. I was the powerful one.

"Good." I released him, shoving him back into the tree for emphasis as I turned back to the manner as though it hadn't happened in the first place. Emotionless. Void. I was a shell.

Footsteps sounded from behind, three sets. Stijin stopped on my right, Astrid and Flynn just behind him. They were always top-ranking. It was no surprise they were brought along even if it was a risk to have them around me.

"Maybe you still show promise after all, Little Warrior." Stijin said without a glance in my direction. "But allow me to spare you the theatrics: you will do as I say. Work as I please and kill as I command. Because you may outrank that puny High Lord, but I outrank you. Are we clear?"

"Crystal, Overseer." I answered like the soldier I had once been even as I wanted to rip him apart from the inside and shred him into bloody ribbons. I was under his command...for now. Until I killed him, of course. And I would kill him.

I would kill them all. No matter the cost, no matter the time.

And it would take time, and process because I would not allow innocents to be caught in the crossfire. Wouldn't allow them to suffer because of this plan.

After all, the state of one's leadership does not define the person. I should know. We would all know.

I turned to Tamlin, "You will include me and my comrades on all that takes place here. You will do as we command." I watched the way his jaw tensed and his face reddened. Oh, he did not like being bossed around. He did not like it at all. Good. Now he knew how it felt. "There will be no guards. And I will provide what I can about the state of the Night Court's forces."

Provide you with false information. Lead you in the wrong direction. Bring you to rubble and spare your people from your pathetic rulership.

Take down Jurian and those conniving, bitch queens. And then I'll tear Ianthe into tiny, shredded pieces and bury them in a put no one would find.

Life goals.

Speaking of, "Now," I said, "Lead me to Ianthe."

Lucien stepped forward, his voice wary, "How did you make it out of the Cauldron?" he questioned. I'd almost forgot he was there.

Would I kill him too? I hadn't decided yet. He was Astrid's mate, so I'd allow her to decide.

Raising my chin, I squared myself. I couldn't disguise how uncomfortable I was with the topic. That was a weakness I couldn't mask. I felt that the memory of the Cauldron would haunt me for a long while. The memory of my Mother. The Mother.

"I crawled my way from the pits of hell, Lucien." I replied, and it was true. So very true. "The Cauldron saved me. Gave me a choice. I obey it, and work for its master. Or I die. I chose the former."

Now that–that was a lie through and through. I found my own way out. Clawed the Cauldron apart. I saved myself. No one saved me.

Lucien still looked wary, face hard. As if he could see the tattoo I had glamored. See the ring I had made sure was not revealed beneath my magic.

As if he knew what a predator I was, a predator here to destroy not help. But he could do nothing. Because Astrid was my friend, I knew her better than any and even in the short moments he had observed us in Hybern, that was clear as day.

My eyes glinted, my lips threatening to upturn.

And so the game began. My game. The one I created in the depths of hell.

The world was mine. And I was going to bring it to its damn knees.

 And I was going to bring it to its damn knees