Fifty-Six

Spirals of trees littered with powdery snow wafted above us as a small breeze blew through the woods. The birds had gone quiet as we walked, forcing me to wonder whether it was me that silenced their songs—or the High Lord beside me.

    "Freezing my ass off first thing in the morning isn't how I intended to spend our day off," Rhysand said, as I forced down a scowl. He had woken me up at the break of dawn, and I was still pissy about it. "I should take you to the Illyrian-Stepps when we return—the forest there is far more interesting. And warmer."

    "See, I hear the words coming out of your mouth, and yet it's so early in the morning that it feels like putting a cheese-grader to my brain." I bit out, glaring at his back. "Where even are the Illyrian-steppes? You only showed me one map before, and half of the Night court had been blocked out." I crossed my arms. I was a tad grumpy.

    I could practically hear his smile ricocheting from the trees. "You're in a lovely mood today," Rhys said, turning around and putting a hand between us. A rolled-up map appeared, which he took his sweet, sweet time opening. Something I was sure he did just to test my patience. "Lest you think I don't trust you, Dani Darling..." he pointed just south of the Northern isles. "These are the Steppes. Four days that way on foot," he dragged his finger upwards and into the mountains. "will take you into Illyrian territory."

    I nodded, vaguely processing what he'd just shown me. But somehow my thoughts had gotten lost in between trying to keep up with where he was pointing. It was too early for this.

    "Here," Rhys spoke as the map disappeared into that pocket dimension of his. "We'll train here. We're far enough now."

    I gave him an obviously fake enthusiastic thumbs up as I looked around. It was a very small space, but it was wide enough that we could get things done. I turned to Rhys again, watching as he held out a hand and a candle appeared. "If we've learned anything about your powers, it's that part of them manifest as some sort of fire." He looked between the candle and me, "Light it."

    I raised a brow, tucking my cold hands into my pockets. But he only gestured to light it. my lips tilted upward as I looked at him, not breaking eye contact for a moment as I dredged up just an inch of my power from the well inside me. It took a moment—granted I was still a beginner at the whole magic thing—but soon enough, Rhys's face was illuminated with a white flame, so hot it had melted the candle down to wax.

    He looked away and down to the candle. Nodding slowly. "Good," he said as the hot wax vanished, and the candle was replaced with a new one. "Now do it again, but only burn the wick," he ordered.

Once more, I dug into that well of power, barely making a dent in what I could feel inside me, before I sent it toward the candle and...burned it to the stump. I thinned my lips. I hated being a beginner.

    Rhys tried and failed to hide his smile. "Not so easy as I make it seem?" he challenged.

    I didn't feel like indulging his ego. "You should go," I said hesitantly. crossing my arms in front of me.

    "Why? You seemed so enthusiastic to go train this morning," he mocked with a purely male grin.

    I rolled my eyes. "I can't concentrate with you around," I admitted, "I need to be able to focus."

    A suggestive curve shaped his lips.

    I waved him off, "Go hide in your little pocket dimension."

"It doesn't work like that. There's no air there."

"Precisely." I grinned.

    Rhys laughed and suddenly my focus was on anything but magic. "Fine. Practice all you want in privacy." he jerked his chin toward my tattoo. "Give a shout down the bond if you get anything accomplished before breakfast." he paused, turning to me with a face of nothing other than trouble, "Try not to burn the forest down while you're at it."

    "Prick." I grumbled. "And what, am I meant to literally shout at my tattoo?"

    "You could try rubbing it on certain body parts and I might come faster."

    He vanished before I could light him on fire too.

    Though I'd be lying if I said I didn't snicker a bit when I was sure he was gone.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

    Thirty-two candles.

    Thirty-two candles. And each and every one had been burned down to a pile of wax that melted the snow. They just kept coming. Haunting my every waking moment. I wouldn't be surprised if they made an appearance in my nightmares. I could never look at candles the same way again.

    Every time I burned a candle, a new one replaced it. And I had decided that Rhys knew nothing of what a day of relaxation should be. Honestly, I didn't think he knew what relaxation or sanity was.

    When I was sure if I lit another candle I really would burn the forest to ash out of pure frustration, I took a small break and started scavenging through the small pack Rhys had brought with us. There was fresh bread, some sort of amazing smelling soup, and a note from Rhys that read:

    I'm bored, have you singed off your eyebrows yet?

    A pen clattered at the bottom of the bag as soon as I'd finished reading.

    I grabbed the pen, writing my response on the top of the parchment. I held it out, watching as the letter vanished into the air: No, you prick. Go do your High Lordly things before I singe off your eyebrows.

    The letter appeared again a moment later.

    I'm watching Cassian and Nesta get into it again over their tea. Something you subjected me to when you kicked me off training. I thought this was our day off.

    I scoffed. Partly annoyed that he thought this was a suitable day off, and partly because I wished I had gotten to witness Cassian and Nesta at each other's throats.

    I wrote back, Poor little High Lord. Life is so hard.

    The paper vanished, and once again re-appeared. His writing near the bottom of the parchment. Life is better when you're around.

    A faint smile curved my lips. You're a shameless flirt, I wrote.

    The paper vanished. I watched my open palm, waiting for it to return.

    Cold. Like goose-bumps on my back. Someone was there. Trying to sneak up on me as though I was a fool. A hand covered my mouth, yanking me backward. I refused to panic. I wasn't stupid enough to think that thrashing or anything remotely similar to that would work. This was a faerie. Not a human.

    The creature was stiff, but when I hadn't fought against them they seemed to almost relax. When I was sure that their guard had lowered even an inch, I lurched forward, throwing my head back and hitting them square on what was meant to be their nose but felt more like a snout.

It hissed, not letting me go but instead, gripping my neck with its clawed hand "Stop, or I snap your neck." it seethed.

    I recognized that voice. Had heard it in the back of my mind for months.

    The Attor.

How I would enjoy killing this one.

    I repressed a smile, right before I sent my power out. Relishing in the sound of that sweet, sweet answering scream.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

A/N: Ahhhh, oml I've been so busy and will be even more busy in the next week. I'm sooooo sorry for not updating as frequently as I want to. I miss you guyssss.

Love you <333