Fifty-Nine

Azriel had taken the Attor back to the night court, Rhys had told me, likely to interrogate him further. Cassian had flown after him shortly after we'd returned to the house, leaving Rhys, Feyre, and I to eat breakfast with my sisters alone.

    We'd brought my sisters into the village to mail the letter to the queens that we'd all pitched in on earlier that morning. Rhys had glamoured the both of us to be invisible to everyone around in the town as we walked. I'd just barely refrained from snapping at him and telling him I'd do it myself.

    Our goodbyes with my family were quick and easy. Nesta had muttered a terse, "Stay safe." to me.

    To which I replied with, "I'm never safe." with a shrug. That was that.

    Elain had spared me a small, awkward hug and wished us safe travels. The three of us had left the house, making it all of about three steps before we'd stumbled into a small problem, two sisters, one set of transportation.

    "Feyre flies with you." I'd said to the High Lord. I had a ride, so long as they trusted me enough to use it. "We'll meet in Velaris."

    Rhys furrowed his brow, crossing his arms. "How will you get back?" he asked.

    I cocked my head, "I'll manage." I always did.

"And you expect me to just leave you here?" he questioned, "Where our kind is hunted?"

    I snorted, "You forget I was one of the people hunting your kind, Rhys. Our kind. I know how to stay hidden."

    Rhys looked as though he was about to object when Feyre butt in, "Are you sure?" she asked strongly as if checking to make sure I was certain I'd be able to survive.

    "Positive." I looked up at the sky, noticing the stormy grey clouds rolling in through the mortal village. I looked back to them, "You should get going before it starts to snow."

    Rhys clenched his jaw, clearly unhappy. He closed his eyes for a moment, leashing his temper. "Be careful. Stay hidden."

    I nodded, knowing that making a remark would do nothing to get them to leave.

    Rhys walked over to Feyre, placing a hand on the small of her back as great membranous wings spread from behind his back. He stooped low, grabbing the backs of her knees before he hefted her into his arms. The sight sent a pang of something through my chest. A terrible feeling that felt strangely like jealousy.

    Rhys looked into my eyes, the violet still shimmering like starlight. He spared me with one last Nod before he and my sister launched into the sky, soaring through the breezes as they headed toward the Night Court.

    I allowed myself five whole seconds to look after them until they were a mere speck in the distance before I looked toward the woods that lay on my left.

    I stared into the snowy land, watching as a cool wind swept past, blowing a flurry of snow. A small smile crept onto my face.

    I'd studied Fae in other worlds, some so different from our own. But my thoughts had strayed to only one. The Fae, whose bodies were built like machines, where they could run for miles at a time and faster than the wind itself. Their mouths held fangs, just like I'd grown earlier—the whole inspiration for my idea, really.

    I shed my cloak from my back, checking everything around me for prying eyes. There was nothing.

    I felt my power roil inside me, waiting for a chance to get out. I dredged it up, just a fraction. Always a fraction.

I felt as my body changed and morphed, as my bones grew strong as steel, and my blood became hot in my veins. Fangs poked from my mouth as I smiled.

    I rolled my neck as I felt the way the changes in my body worked. How powerful I felt.

    And then I started running.

    Running so fast and swiftly that the trees I passed were a mere blur in a sea of snow. I nearly ran into about seven of them before I'd finally trusted my instincts enough to guide me.

    Pure euphoria as adrenaline pumped through my every muscle. My chest shook with laughs as I jumped over rocks and sticks, as my feet split the snow around me.

    I think it may have been the happiest I'd been in months as the wind blew away my worries.

    I came to a stop when I'd reached the wall that separated our lands.

    My heart hammered in my chest as I looked at the spring flowers on the other side. The too green grass and the hot air.

    Memories flushed through my mind, but I sent them away as I crossed the Wall and into Spring Court.

    I went deeper into the woods faster than I had before as I called upon my friend.

    Azail greeted me like an old friend as he let me climb onto his back and fly through the thick clouds in the sky as we headed for the edge of Velaris.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

A/N: Honestly, I'm loving these chapters of just helping Dani find herself again. Sorry they're short, the next few wont be.

Anyway , Love youuuu ❤️