Eighty-Eight

─── · 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

"Underestimate me, that'll be fun

"Underestimate me, that'll be fun."

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

         A silence consumed us as we sat. The quiet hovering over our bodies and enveloping us in its embrace like a cruel and decaying friend. Slowly deteriorating as the suspense roiled between us all.

Each faction studied each other with a cruel curiosity as we formed our words into the right sentences. Melded them into carefully crafted weapons.

"How is it that you can winnow?" Mor asked from her seat beside me, curiously leaning forward.

The golden queen gave a tight-lipped smile, mocking the question. "It is our secret, and a gift from your kind."

Though I was curious as well, small questions like those were inconsequential. We were here for a reason and that reason was most pressing.

I spared Rhys a glance before I tilted my chin up, drawing my shoulders back. "We're here because war is coming." I began. "We called you to warn you—as well as to help take whatever precautions are needed."

There would be no tricks. No stealing. No seduction. We could not even risk Rhys going inside their minds for fear of triggering inherent wards and destroying the Book.

So much at risk. So much to lose. War was a inevitable game. A give and take where there truly were no winners in the end. Only sorrowful loss and a claim to power.

"We know war is coming." The oldest spoke and I froze in my spot, confusion clear in my mind. "We have been preparing for it for many years."

It seemed as though the others three queens were positioned more as observers, watchers as we instigated the meeting. The eldest and the golden queen being the spokesmen.

A small weight began to press on my chest. I studied the queens and their stoic gaze's. "The humans of these territories seem unaware of the larger threat at hand. We have seen no signs of preparation." My words were carefully calm and yet a layer of concern was evident.

"This territory," the golden queen began, her voice cool as ice. "Is a slip of land compared to the vastness of the continent. It is not in our interests to defend. It would be a waste of resources to defend it."

My temper flared ever so slightly, sending a burst of rage through my veins like waves crashing against a seashore.

I clenched my jaw, my voice leashed and controlled. "You speak of your citizens on the continent, and yet you are willing to sacrifice your people here?" a genuine question.