Ninety

─── · 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

"How can someone so evil be so kind?"

─── · 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

    I was not frightened. Quite the opposite if I was being honest.

Playing roles was what used to be familiar to me. The constant in a maze of dead ends. Becoming different people and forgetting my own persona as I focused on the mission at hand. The way I could train my attention on that sole thing and forgo all else.

I hadn't been that self in a long time and yet I found myself wanting to be her again. One last time. To say a final farewell to the person I had used to be and welcome this new we fully. Embrace it because it could not be changed.

It rather nostalgic.

The wind kissed my skin as we flew over the vast expanse of the Night Court. Gliding between peaks and valleys that looked like something only found in imaginations. My eyes eagerly taking in the snowcapped mountains in the distance and the birds flying toward the horizon.

It would have been picturesque were something not bothering me.

Rhys's face was drawn, his arms tight on my body in an unconscious grip. It was like he was a ghost, a phantom in his own body as all he could do was watch the woods around us.

I knew what to expect. What I would face in this Court and had readied myself for all of it.  Forged my mind and body into strong metal. And yet even since I had agreed, he had seemed...haunted. Absent.

Worried for me, I realized.

I claimed it as my mission to just get that tightness of his face. To relieve the worry that creased his brow.

I made a show of flicking the nonexistent dirt from under my fingernails with a tilt of my head. I hummed just loud enough that he could hear it over the wind. "Amren and Mor told me that the size of an Illyrian male's wings says a lot about the size of..." I paused, a menacing smirk on my features as I made a show of looking him in the eye. "Other parts."

His eyes shot to mine, arching a brow. "Did they now."

I shrugged in his arms, trying my best not to think about the naked body I'd seen on that night all those weeks ago. About the way his hot lips had melded with my own in Summer Court.

I grinned again. A dare. "They also said Azriel's wings are the biggest." It was a fight to keep my laughter at bay.

Mischief glittered in those violet eyes, dancing along his features and washing away the cold and distant expression that had been there mere moments ago. "When we return home, let's get out a measuring stick shall we?"