Nineteen

I didn't see Rhysand for the rest of the week. He'd spared me only a few words saying that he had business to attend to elsewhere. I didn't mind. I wasn't sure where our last conversation left us.

    I'd spent my days in the library, burying myself in books to distract myself from reality.

    I missed the Wyverns. And my sister.

    Feyre had been distant the past few weeks, months. After her wedding and everything had gone to shit the two of us hadn't spoken as much. She'd visited me a few times when I'd been held up in my room, but she'd just said my name and when I hadn't answered she left. I wanted to see her, I did. But I wasn't in a good place, I just didn't want my little sister to see me like that.

    I hadn't seen the Wyverns because Tamlin had increased the suffocating guards and it had been near impossible to even get a breath of fresh air. I knew Tamlin had at least a shred of regret about the incident, but I didn't think I'd be able to forgive him. I didn't think I'd be able to stand up for myself as I had again, but I wouldn't forgive him.

    I sat in a velvet chair in one of the far corners of the large library. A large fireplace sat in front of it, creating a calm air in the room as I read a cozy book. I didn't know how many of them I'd gone through during the week, I'd lost count after a while.

    I flipped the page, creating a soft sound as I did. Footsteps approached behind me, but I barely even batted an eye, it was likely someone else looking for a book.

    But I finally forced my eyes away when the soft clank of a plate hitting wood piqued my curiosity. I found Rhysand setting down two plates of food in front of me before he sat in the chair across from mine.

    I sketched a brow as I looked between him and the food he placed, he only returned the motion, gesturing for me to eat. I gave him a look that should have said a lot and yet it didn't seem to register, "Is this necessary?"

    "Quite." Rhys leaned back in his chair as he looked between the plate and me again.

    "I'm fine," I picked up my book again, "Thank you."

    The High Lord only leaned forward and nudged the plate closer. "You're not going to leave until I take it, are you?"

    His smile grew as his amusement did. I sighed, reaching for the white plate filled to the brim with different foods and fruits. I gripped the fork he'd brought in one hand, spearing a piece of fruit and plopping it in my mouth.

    "Happy?" I asked once I'd finished chewing.

    "Peachy," he said smugly.

    I went back to my book, ignoring him entirely, I'd go back to Spring Court tomorrow and I'd prefer to spend the rest of the day indulging in the last few dregs of my freedom.

    Things always seemed to get worse thereafter I returned from Night Court and I wasn't ashamed to admit I was scared. No, I was terrified—

"Scared of what?" Rhysand asked almost immediately. I snapped up my mental barriers on instinct as I snapped my eyes to him.

    "Stay out of my head."

    "Elaborate."

    "No." I ignored him as I turned toward the words on the page, trying to pick up where I left off.

    He sighed, leaning forward, "Talk to me, Danika," he breathed, "Tell me what to do," as I looked up his face was near pleading. Like he'd dropped everything fr a moment. "Tell me what to do to help you."

    He almost lost his grip on his power as he spoke again—the words almost tumbling out of his mouth like he had no control. Talons reached from his fingertips and the shadow of wings danced along his back. "Months and months, and you're still a ghost. Does no one there ask what the hell is happening? Does everyone there just not care?"

    Care? Like hell. The only one who did was Feyre, and she had her own struggles to work through. I couldn't blame her for that.

    "That's none of your business."

    He leaned forward even more, almost reaching over the table, "Let me help you," he said, "We went through Under the Mountain together—"

    "Spare me," I choked out. "Please."

    His brows furrowed, "She wins," he reasoned, "that bitch wins if you let yourself fall apart."

    I wondered whether that's what he'd been telling himself. If that's how he wasn't a mess like me. Somehow the fact managed to make me feel worse.

    Leave me be, I fired down the metaphorical bridge between us. Conversation over.

    "Like hell it is," he snarled, bracing his hands on the table. Bastard. Arrogant, presuming, bastard.

    My temper flared and heat danced at my fingertips, so hot it could have melted a star. The book in my hands created a smoking smell and I released it immediately.

I panicked. I wasn't ready for Rhysand to know about my power. I decided the best option would be to hurl the book at Rhysands head.

    He dodged by mere inches, barely even sensing it coming.

    "Good," he said, his breathing coming in short pants. "What else do you have, Danika?"

    I sank back into my chair, the last of my energy spent on my anger.

    "Anytime you need someone to play with," he said as he stood from his chair, "whether it's during our marvelous week together or otherwise, you let me know."

    I couldn't muster a response, and Rhysand thankfully walked away before I had the chance.

    I realized I was in free fall with no end. I had been for a long time. Longer than I cared to admit.

    And I didn't know how to stop myself.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

    The next morning, I walked into Spring Court dreadfully. I wasn't ready. I didn't want to feel trapped anymore.

    Tamlin waited under a small oak tree to my surprise. My sister stood at his side.

    Tamlin growled at me, "Get inside."

    I inclined my chin, walking towards the gates of the manor, but someone caught my wrist. The familiar warmth of his hand was just the same as the last time he'd done it.

    I looked at Rhysand, "Fight it."

    And then he was gone. And all that was left was smoke and glittering ash that was swept away by the wind.

    Feyre hustled towards me, enveloping me in a large hug, "Are you alright?" my sister asked.

    "I'm fine."

    Feyre hugged me tighter. It felt good to be embraced for once. "I miss you," she said.

"I miss you too." I nearly whispered.

    Someone cleared their throat behind us. I looked up, Tamlin's eyes met mine and his brows narrowed. He jerked his chin to the house and I took the hint.

    I started walking back, Feyre and Tamlin in tow.

    And as I looked at the shiny gates that lead inside, I finally realized that it looked like a prison.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

A/N: things are finalllyyyy gonna get good in the next few chapts. I know things have been a bit boring but bear with me everyone.