• Puppy Surprise •

***
Holly's POV
***

I shift through my notes anxiously, ignoring the cup of tea next to my hand that Ella made me ages ago. I touch my fingers to the mug and don't feel surprised when they come away cold.

My exam is this morning and I could not be more anxious about it. I got an A on my mock, however I still fear failing. JJ said he would be proud regardless of my results, but I still feel like I'm going to disappoint him.

"If you overthink anymore, you're going to explode," Ella comments, running a hand down my hair. "Take a deep breath and put the books away, Holly. Cramming last minute isn't going to help you memorise things any better"

"I know," I sigh, feeling fed up. "I just want to do well"

"I know," Ella nods. "And you will. You'll see"

Ella closes my textbook for me and pushes it to the middle of the table. In its place, she puts a plate of pancakes in front of me. I smile at her gratefully and dig in, feeling my nerves slide into hunger.

***

Authors note: I know Holly has switched to online school, but for now, we're just going to pretend she's been at a different school, physically :)) thanks, it's because I'm dumb haha

***

"Take a deep breath and try not to panic, okay? Just sit down and centre yourself," JJ says, pulling over by the park near school. "Do the best you can. I promise I'm already proud of you, no matter what"

I nod and look down at my hands again. My fingernails are bloody and jagged due to the amount of time dedicated to tearing and biting them during my revision week.

"Holly, are you alright?" JJ asks, his tone soft and honey like.

I say nothing. I'm actually terrified. Knowing that me failing one of my three A level exams coud fuck my chance to get into a good university isn't a good feeling at all.

"Hey, look at me"

When I don't look at him, JJ pushes his finger under my chin and makes me look him in the eyes.

"I know you're stressed, but trust me, a grade on a piece of paper doesn't define your future, yeah?"

I nod, seeing JJ's hand slide under my jaw, his thumb rubbing up and down my cheek trying to calm me. I let a warm tear slip from my eyes and JJ sighs, bringing me into a hug.

"I'm going to fail, dad," I sniff. "I can't do this. I really can't. I never do enough to deserve a pass in any of my classes and-"

"Holly, you're too hard on yourself, kid"

"Dad, I'm not going in," I sigh, rubbing my eyes. "I can't"

"Don't be ridiculous," JJ says firmly, shaking his head. "You'll go in, find your seat and do the best you can"

I pull away from JJ's embrace and nod, trying to get myself together. Of course I'm speaking nonsense. I might as well try before deciding I've given up.

"Okay, off you go," JJ says, giving me an encouraging smile. "You've got this"

"Thanks, dad. But don't expect something good"

"Fine," JJ grins, tapping his thumb on the steering wheel. "I'll expect greatness"

I roll my eyes and unbuckle my seatbelt. I get out of the car and wave as JJ drives away, trying not to burst into tears like a five year old being left by their parent for their first day of school. I tell myself to get a grip and then walk into school, my black heeled boots clicking as I make my way to the exam hall.