• Joyously Ill •

***
Holly's POV
***

"Is this not embarrassing?" I ask, taking a tissue from the box on the coffee table.

"Holly, what is embarrassing, sweetheart?" Ella chuckles, taking the thermometer out of my mouth. "It's okay to be ill"

I shrug with a slight smile. "I know, but it's the summer"

"So, what?" Ella smiles, setting the thermometer down on the table. "You're only allowed to be ill during the winter now?"

I roll my eyes. "I'm not saying that! I'm just saying..."

Ella nods and gives me a look. Her arms are folded across her chest and her smile is infectious.

"Just saying?....Uh huh"

"Shut up," I giggle. "Fine, you win. I just find it odd"

"Well you've got a temperature," Ella says, smoothing the hair back off my face. "Just a cold though, probably. Headache?"

"Check," I sigh.

"Runny nose?"

"Check," I sigh again.

"Sne-"

I sneeze abruptly, lifting my tissue to prevent spreading it.

"Sneezing?" Ella chuckles. "I think that's a yes"

"Ugh, I feel so ill"

"Lie down, sweetheart. Your dad said he'd pick you up some medicine on his way home"

I lie down and rest my head on the sofa pillows. Ella drapes the sofa blanket over me and tucks it in around my body, making me laugh as she tickles my ribs by accident.

"Shut your eyes for a bit," Ella's soothing voice says, her hand feeling nice as it passes over my scalp. "Rest is good"

Ella's comforting touch sends me into a snooze almost immediately. The blanket is nice and warm and the soft breeze wafting in from the open window in the kitchen adds a nice balance.

***

My body feels heavy and robotic as I blink myself awake. My eyelids feel heavy too, weighed down by the amount of on and off rest I've been having for the past day and a half. I snuggle further into the pillow under my head and shut my eyes, bringing the blanket closer to me.

I hear the front door open and recognize JJ by the sound of his footsteps. He's humming a tune softly. I smile when I hear the sound of his shoes hitting the rack by the door. He walks into the kitchen and I hear him and Ella share a quick kiss.

"Is Holly still knocked out?"

"Yeah," Ella replies. "She's so funny. You know what she said to me?"

"No," JJ chuckles. "Enlighten me"

"She goes, "Isn't it embarrassing to be ill during the summer?" and I thought it was quite sweet"

"She can be a bit silly sometimes, can't she?" JJ laughs. "Where is she? Did you take her temperature"

"Yeah, she's burning up, and quite tired"

"I would imagine"

I hear JJ walk into the living room and immediately shut my eyes. It feels illegal snooping on conversations. It feels nice when I feel JJ's hand on my face, his thumb stroking my cheek gently. His rings feel cold against my burning skin and it feels nice. I let my eyes open slowly, to give off the illusion that I've just woken up. I toss in a fake yawn for measure and smile when JJ smiles down at me.

"Hey there my sleepy girl," JJ chuckles, gently playing with my hair. "You okay?"

I nod and sit up, propping myself on my elbows. "Feeling a bit rough, but I'm alright"