• First Day of School •

***
Holly's POV
***

The phone alarm beeps loudly, waking me from my non-eventful dreams. I open an eye and groan softly when I realize what day it is.

It's the first day of school.

I get out of bed and make my way to the bathroom. I turn the shower on and sleepily brush my teeth.

***

After getting dressed in my uniform and doing my makeup and hair, I walk into the kitchen and make a few coffees.
Talia's kitchen is amazing but a little tech advanced for my stupid ass.

When my coffee has cooled down a little, I take a sip and shut my eyes. Coffee is the only thing that'll make today bearable, I think.

"Morning!" Talia smiles, giving me a big hug. "Oh, my little year eleven! Look at you! Aw so cute!"

"She's been like this all morning," Simon sighs, raising his eyebrows behind Talia's back.

When Talia's done, Simon gives me a hug and I know he's worried about me today. New year, no
JJ and bags of anxiety.

I am a little anxious since I'll have to talk to people today, but I have to be strong for myself and not worry the people around me.

***

The bell rings and I slump into my seat at the back of the classroom. Remi sits next to me and gives me a little nudge with her elbow, winking.

"Hey, stranger"

"Hey, Remi. How are you?" I ask.

This summer, shit got hectic and after JJ's accident, I didn't feel like talking to anyone. I shut myself off and it definitely created a division in friendships. To be honest, it also got in the way of my relationship.

"I'm fine," Remi shrugs, not looking fine at all.

Remi turns around and faces the front of the classroom. I can't tell if she's upset with me or not.

***

During break, Remi walks out of the class and joins up with some new kids I haven't met yet. I watch her laugh and talk with them like we used to.
I take my earphones out of my bag and plug them in.

A hand on my shoulder makes me jump and when I turn around, Ben's standing there.

"Ben!"

I jump up and wrap my arms around him. He hugs me back and laughs.
Ben makes me so happy. It's weird how fast he can change my mood.

***

Ben and I sit together in chemistry when I tell him about Remi being weird. He tells me to ignore her and focus on him.
He keeps an arm around my waist and makes me feel okay and safe.

***

When lunch rolls around, Remi practically ignores me with rolled eyes and a scoff so I make my way over to Ben instead.

"Hey, babe," I sigh, linking my arm through his. "Want to sit together?"

Ben turns around and gives me his famous smile. It looks off though and his eyes dart around the canteen before landing back on me.