• Fake illness •

***
Holly's POV
Monday
***

My eyes open to the sound of the annoying alarm on my phone going off. I dread Monday's. I hate this Monday especially because I know I'm going to have to face Ben at school.

I sit up and shut my eyes for a second. My heart pounds against my chest painfully at the thought of seeing Ben's lying, cheating, slimy face.
I still really like him so it's tearing me apart.

I wrap my duvet around me, pad into the hallway and downstairs to plead my case to JJ
I find him drinking coffee in the kitchen and buttering toast.

"JJ?"

He turns around and frowns when he sees me. He puts his coffee down and beckons me over.

"I think I'm ill," I say softly, in attempts to fool JJ.

"You look ill," JJ comments before touching my forehead for a fever. "No fever though"

I cough for an extra touch and JJ ruffles my hair.

"Go back to bed, kid. I'll bring you up some tea and food"

I nod and walk back upstairs. I feel slightly relieved not having to see Ben today, but there's always tomorrow. And the rest of the week. And then the rest of the month, year and high school.

I get back into bed and have no problem going back to sleep as the sunrise streams though my windows, the sound of the city just waking up following its lead.

***
1 pm
***

I wake up around one in the afternoon and yawn, sitting up. It feels odd to wake up late when I'm supposed to be at school.

I grab my phone off the charger and smile when a text of Talia's pops up.

Talia💖🐻- Simon and I are out at the moment but we'll be back soon. Made you some soup. It's on the hob when you want it. Feel better luv xxx

Me- thanks T xx

I turn my phone off and slip it into my sweatpants pocket. I make my way downstairs and am surprised to see Ethan and Harry in the kitchen.

"Hey," they both smile.

"Hey," I reply. "Where's JJ?"

"Out"

I nod and walk towards the hob where Talia's soup sits.

"Your bowl's over there on the tray," Ethan says, nodding his head towards a wooden tray sitting on the kitchen counter. "I was going to bring it up"

"Oh, thank you"

I take it and sit down at the table. Harry and Ethan glance at each other before leaning back in their own chairs and looking at me.
I put my spoon down and look back at them.

"What?" I ask.

"Nothing," Harry chuckles, shaking his head.

I continue eating and almost finish when Ethan clears his throat and rests his folded arms on the dining room table.

"So what's wrong with you? A cold? A fever?"

Ethan looks at me deeply and I have to look away. He probably knows I'm faking it.

"I just didn't feel well," I mumble, looking down into the empty bowl.

"Really? I-"

"I'm tired. I think I'm going to go back to sleep," I cut in, pushing my chair back and walking to the dishwasher to place my bowl in it.
I rush upstairs to avoid Ethan's suspicious looks and Harry's puzzled ones. Those two can read me like a book.