· Flashbacks ·

Please leave a vote and comment if you enjoyed. Thanks!

***

Holly's POV

***

"Why are you late?"

I shrink away from the monster in front of me. The owner of the orphanage. 

"I-I'm so sorry Miss," I mumble, sitting up in bed and shaking my head. "I'll get to it now"

"It's a bit late now, Holly. Kate's already on it, and for the love of god, clean up your vomit! It's all over the toilet!"

Miss leaves the room and I sigh, wiping my sweaty face off. I feel so ill and horrid. 

I get up and clean my vomit around the toilet. I allow myself to be sick again but do it neatly. Then, I join Kate down in the kitchen and help her peel and grate vegetables. 

"Ah, shit!" I mutter, dropping the peeler and staring at the once fluffy white potato turning scarlet red. 

Skin opens like pages on my hand and every fold gets redder and redder. Kate runs to get Miss and it's game over.

***

"What the fuck were you thinking?" Miss screams. "I can't feed the kids bloody, fleshy vegetables!"

"I'm sorry, Miss," I sigh, looking down at the floor. "I didn't mean to cut myself. It just happened"

Miss looks down at me disapprovingly. Her tightly pulled back gray hair makes her face look sharper than usual and her narrowed eyes scare me. 

"You weren't focused!"

"Yes, Miss. Sorry Miss"

"You will be sorry," Miss hisses, digging her vulture-like clawed hands into my shoulders. 

I let out a squeak as it starts to hurt. Her nails are super long and sharp. 

"Sit,"  Miss orders. 

I sit down on the old wooden chair across her desk as she walks towards a drawer. She brings out a steel-like object with a ball on the end. I frown as she bends down to her lit fireplace, rotating the steel ball above the fire. The flames lick the ball and Miss taps it quickly before making her way back towards me. 

"Stand up," she orders. 

I do as I'm told and stand. Miss grabs my shirt and lifts it juts above my belly button. I can't describe the pain I feel when she presses the heated ball against my waist. 

***

"Stop!"

"It hurts!"

"STOP, please I beg!"

I sit up in bed, breathing heavily. I flinch as my back hits my headboard and burst into tears. 

I can't believe that woman is still controlling me. It's almost been a year since I've been adopted and Miss still terrifies me. Every time I close my eyes she's there. 

I take a deep breath just as my door opens. JJ and Simon jog in, both wide awake and fully clothed. JJ looks confused while Simon looks worried. 

"Holly, are you okay?" JJ asks, putting a hand on my cheek. 

I flinch at the touch and squeeze my eyes shut. All I can feel is Miss's cold hand on my cheek, cooling the burn she'd left behind. 

JJ immediately takes his hand away and looks at Simon. Simon looks back at him and I know they don't know what to do.