34.

Shortly after the wedding, Remus awoke in the dead of night. He couldn't get back to sleep,couldn't shake the feeling that his daughter had been born. Tate and Rafe explained it was probably is wolf instinct, knowing his young was now out there. His desire to protect. Rafe also confirmed this meant that Remus was most definitely the biological father.

It happened repeatedly after that first night, he'd wake up for no other reason than a feeling, an instinct.

"She's probably woken up to be fed." Tate explains gently, "Your instinct is letting you know.."

Remus nods stiffly. There's nothing he can do. He had attempted to track her, but without a scent he couldn't do that. All he could do was wake up, restless and emotional. His gut telling him his child needed him. That his daughter needed him. It scared Remus that his instinct was so strong. Sometimes Phoenix could cry right next to Sirius and Sirius would continue snoring through it. His daughter wasn't even near him and yet, he knew that she needed something.

Rafe explained that the wolf instinct was naturally stronger than humans. Wolves had a pack, they had to the instinct to hunt together and stick together, the need to protect their young from harm. Remus felt sick. He couldn't protect his own daughter. Wherever she was, she was with Greybacks lot now.

Dumbledore made several comments about the true wolf. How two wolves had not had a baby together for centuries. Remus had to hold his tongue, fearful of lashing out at the elderly man who used words such as 'weapon' and 'monster' to describe his innocent infant child.

Remus ached physically, his wolf transformations causing him irreversible damage. He had to use a walking stick to get around sometimes now, his knee and hip causing him more pain that necessary. It annoyed him. Tate was older but had grown with no restrictions. He hadn't been told to deny the wolf, to force it down so his transformations had been easy, less painful with less long term damage.

Tate still made Remus feel handsome and wonderful. They still managed to have incredible sex but Remus had a new ache. A constant ache in his heart. A never ending heartbreak, it never went. It never left him alone or gave him a break. At least with his hip and knee he could take pain potions, but there was no cure for heartbreak.

May turned into June, Zions 2nd birthday fast approached. It was a smaller affair than his first birthday. His Auntie Marlene and Auntie Dorcas sent their presents and apologies via owl post. Auntie Mary dropped her present off the day before, apologising for missing out. They rarely saw each other outside Order meetings nowadays. Never a spare five minutes for a quick catch up. Even the friends who lived together in Potter manor, rarely had time to just sit and chat. Always something to do, always something needing to be done.

All four marauders made the effort though, Peter popped in before his shift at the ministry. He walked into the manor with balloons,marshmallows and a present that made Zion's face light up excitedly.

"Happy birthday, big man!" Pete grins, placing the present in front of him. James takes the balloons, tying them to the banister whilst Pete helps Zion unwrap his gift.

"It's a ball pit." He explains, waving his wand to blow the pit up, "It's a muggle invention. Kids love them."

"Cheers Pete." Sirius smiles, using his wand to put the balls inside.

Pete picks Zion up and sits him inside the ball pit and ruffles his crazy black hair, "Happy birthday again! I'll see you later for birthday cake!"

"See you later Wormy!" James and Sirius call after him as he leaves for work.

"Shit." James mumbles, "I think Pete wins best present this year!"

The two men stare at Zion who's laughing happily and throwing the small coloured balls around the room. Remus and Tate walk in, clutching separate presents. Remus is in his grey dressing gown, bags under his eyes and his sandy hair sticking up all over the place. He looks like shit. It's obvious he's been crying.