72.

Regulus didn't tell anyone where he and Barty were going or what they were up to, he didn't think anybody would notice. He didn't want to burden anyone with his insane plan to talk to Severus Snape about destroying the Horcrux. Sirius and Kate would never have allowed him to take that risk, neither of them trust Snape.

Part of him was excited about returning to Hogwarts after so many years, it was the first place that ever felt like home for him and he had been homesick.  They apparated into Hogsmede with a low crack, keeping hidden by the shadows of the dark night. Barty's escape was known by those higher up, they hadn't published it publicly due to everyone already believing the ministry to be incompetent. Another escaped prisoner would not go down well, Azkaban had lost all its credibility as the unbreakable fortress it once held.

Regulus was supposed to be dead. His death had made the newspaper when he was eighteen. Although seeing ghosts was not unheard of in the wizarding world, it was still best to remain undetected.

"I'm getting stress hives." Barty mutters, itching at his skin beneath his cloak, "I'm going to end up back in Azkaban tonight."

"I'll take you myself if you don't quit complaining." Regulus hisses, "We need hairs for your Polyjuice, ideally a teachers who can roam the corridors without that annoying squib-"

"Filch is still alive?" Barty asks, "Damn."

"Will you focus?" Regulus snaps, "Do you see anyone?"

"There." Barty points to a large man in the distance, who's stumbling drunkenly as he leaves the pub.

"Hagrid?" Regulus frowns, "Yeah..okay.."

He stares after the half giant, wondering how he was ever going to reach to subtly grab a strand of hair. Barty starts moving after him, keeping his face hidden with his cloak. Regulus tuts in annoyance as he swiftly follows after him, keeping hidden by the shadows. They follow Hagrid down a steep hill, towards the grounds-keepers hut where he lives. Regulus looks around, memories surrounding him of his time at Hogwarts. He missed being a kid.

Hagrid stumbles towards the door, letting himself in before crashing face first on the enormous giant sized bed. The door is just about to slam shut when Barty catches it with his foot. Hagrids loud snores tell them it's safe to enter, Regulus reaches out snatching a handful of hairs from his scalp. He turns back to face Barty with an accomplished smile on his face, they'd done it without any mishaps!

But Barty is wide eyed and pointing at the space behind Reg. He slowly turns around, a large dog is sat in its bed- baring all his teeth and growling at them lowly.

"Nice dog.." Barty whispers as he slowly backs away from the door, removing his foot so it slams shut.

Hagrid jumps in his sleep but resettles immediately and starts snoring again. Regulus stares at the dog, holding his hands up as he takes a few small steps back. The dog leaps onto all fours, snarling at Regulus as he gets closer and closer. Regulus slowly reaches for his wand, the dog barks once in an almost warning tone.

"Petrificus Totalus." He murmurs and the dog freezes, falling to the floor with a small thud.

"Sorry." Regulus says.

When he finds Barty he glares at him with annoyance, Barty presses his lips together and tries to act like nothing had happened. Regulus slams the bottle of polyjuice into Barty's hands, then puts Hagrid's hairs inside which causes the liquid to hiss and bubble.

"I'm Hagrid?!" Barty complains, "Who are you then?!"

Regulus downs his polyjuice potion, gagging and choking on the thick greying liquid. Barty copies, his face scrunching up as he heaves from the smell. Both boys stare at each other as their transformations take place.Barty shoots up in height and gets wider, whereas Regulus shrinks down and gets thinner. Barty groans as his back cracks, then standing in his place is Hagrid. He looks down, surprised at how things look from up at Hagrid's level and sees a tiny boy.. he recognises him from his time teaching as Phoenix. Regulus' nephew.