50

Sirius watches as Kate scrubs the dishes, piling them on the strainer besides her. She has a big claw clip securing her hair at the back of her head, loose strands either side framing her face. This is how he'd pictured it years ago, Kate in her apron in their kitchen cleaning or cooking, him besides her attempting to help but ultimately getting in her way. The kids running freely outside with the dog, both parents able to see them from the kitchen windows, their friends popping in and out with their own children.

He can't help staring at her, this was the most beautiful version of her. A mother. A home maker. A warrior. His wonderful Kate, the girl who never stopped believing in him even when everyone else had.

This was a moment he wanted to hold onto forever, the way her hair was dumped messily, no makeup and yellow rubber gloves reaching past her elbows. He smiles to himself, twelve years and his love for her hadn't faded at all. It had been buried, deeply but it hadn't gone anywhere. He allowed himself to dream about her, allowed himself to picture their future- its what kept him going in Azkaban. It what kept him alive when all his hope was gone.

He looks away, his heart hammering against his chest desperately wanting to break free. What he didn't know is that Kates heart was doing the same, trying to meet Sirius' heart halfway to become one again. To become whole. She could feel his eyes on her when she wasn't looking, she felt the moment he took them away again. The kids come first.

Kate glances over her shoulder at Sirius, he's bent over stroking the dog who's wagging his tail excitedly. A few weeks ago, Bowie was Sirius' number one enemy, always growling and baring his teeth at him and now they were inseparable. Sirius looks up, his eyes meeting Kates, both of their hearts stopped with a jolt. Kate quickly turning her attention back to the final knife that needed to be cleaned.

She could feel Sirius watching her. She scrubbed the knife over and over again, soap suds soaking the entire knife and the sides. Sirius smiles to himself, he can tell she's nervous. He makes his way behind her, watching her clean the knife over her shoulder.

"I think that knife is clean now." He teases.

Kate nods, placing the knife down on the strainer and removing the gloves, "Yeah it's definitely clean. I was just making sure..germs and things.. you know?"

"Yeah. I know." Sirius smiles, "Germs can be deadly."

Kate turns to face him, he's much closer than she had anticipated. There bodies are pressed against each other, she moves back slightly her bum touching the edge of the sink. There's no where for her to go. She feels frozen to the spot as she looks at him.He smirks down at her with that Sirius Black grin and she feels her heart thumping with nerves.

"Exactly.." She says in a whisper, the words getting stuck in her throat.

He reaches forwards, closing the little tight space between them as he tucks a loose strand of hair behind her ear, "I missed you."

"I missed you too."She says softly, her eyes starting to gloss with tears, "I never doubted you. Not once."

He inhales sharply, she had said this before but he hadn't really believed it until Zion yelled at her about it. He looks into her blue eyes, they're the same misty shades of pale blue that he'd always remembered but having them right in front of him relaxed him.

"Was there anybody else?" He asks, his heart racing. He wanted to know. He had to know, even if the answer hurt.

Kate looks at her feet with guilt, "I slept with someone, but it ended in tears."

Sirius presses his lips together, "I hate the idea of you spending twelve years alone."

"I wasn't alone. Not really. I had the kids and Regulus." She smiles, "I had our family and I had hope that you would come home and now here you are."