73.

Phoenix hears banging and shouts coming from Moaning Myrtles bathroom, he's only concerned because he watched Harry follow Draco out of the Great Hall. Originally he wasn't going to follow, he had plans with Theo but once again, Theo had bailed on him. It had become a regular occurrence, Theo constantly made up excuses as to why they couldn't hang out. Phoenix wasn't that bothered. He was more hurt by the fact he thought Theo and him were mates.

Phoenix couldn't ignore the sinking feeling in his chest as Harry followed after his cousin. It was no secret that Harry had a strong dislike for Draco. Phoenix also knew that Harry suspected him. Somehow Harry knew Draco was a deatheater and blamed him for an attack that occurred on Katie Bell in Hogsmede. Draco didn't know that would happen. He was relieved that Katie was okay. That he wasn't a murderer.

The banging got louder the closer he got to the bathroom, it was then he recognised the voices for certain. There was no mistaking the shouts of Harry and Draco as they fired off spells towards each other. Phoenix edged into the bathroom, managing to dodge a wild spell. The floor is wet, the taps leaking from misspells and Myrtles cry is echoing through the pipes as she moans about her bathroom. Phoenix was there when Harry- he never thought Harry was capable of something so sinister.

"SEPTUMSEMPRA!" Harry bellows, waving his wand and smacking Draco down to the floor.

Phoenixes eyes widen as his cousin falls to the wet floor, at first he expects Draco to stand up but when he doesn't , Harry is the first one to rush forward and crouch by his side. Phoenix can hear the faint breathy sobs from Draco, they get slightly louder as he steps closer. He feels his heart fall out of his chest. Draco is lay in a pool of blood.  It was as if he had been cut and whipped repeatedly all over his body, his white shirt soaked with blood.

"What the fuck have you done?" Phoenix manages to ask as he falls to his knees besides Draco.

"I-I don't.."

At that moment Severus Snape glides into the bathroom, followed by Professor McGonagall and Madame Pomfrey. Harry slowly backs away, full of disgust and shame. He didn't know what the spell would do.. he never expected something like this. He glances at Phoenix who's pale and distraught as Snape leans over Dracos weakened body. Before he can ask, Professor McGonagall is leading him away from the scene.

Phoenix stays by Draco until he's told to leave. He does that for three days, just waiting for Draco to wake up and be okay. Had you told Phoenix a year ago he would be best friends with Draco Malfoy, he would have laughed in your face. Draco was genuinely his most treasured friend nowadays, he didn't want a life where Draco wasn't in it.

Due to the circumstances, Theo was forced to stop avoiding Phoenix. After the first day, Theo found it easier to just slot back into place as if nothing had ever hit him. Sometimes when he didn't think about it, things were normal and he found he could be friends with Phoenix fine. Theo might fancy Phoenix.. might even be falling for him but Theo would never allow it. He still hadn't fully forgiven himself for using the Cruciatus curse on Phoenix, even if Phoenix had. The idea that he ever hurt someone like Phoenix made him feel ill and that alone was enough to put him off mentioning his personal situation.

The rest of their friends noticed of course. They unfortunately were not as stupid as they looked. Draco had noticed before Theo even had and Blaise had found out recently just by observing. Theo trusted they wouldn't tell Phoenix though, there was a mutual understanding amongst them.

Pansy was devastated. She spent all her time with Draco too, holding onto his arm and waiting for him to waken. Phoenix was often the one she spoke to during their long hours alone. Blaise and Theo would go to meals, sneaking food in their pockets for them as they refused to leave his side at all.