65.

Phoenix knows Gryffindor floo network is open for talking only, it's a way to contact family and friends other than letters. Most people hate using it because of the sickly aftermath. Phoenix needs to talk to his Dad- today. He would just write a letter if it wasn't so urgent. They're going home in a few days and a letter might not reach home in time.

Luckily, Sirius is in the living-room by the fireplace when Phoenix gets through. He yells at his Father, who stares at him in shock before eventually crouching down at the fireplace. Sirius hadn't heard from either of the children since they went to Hogwarts. Marlie never wrote but Phoenix used to occasionally. Everything was different since Zion died, no one knew how to communicate anymore.

"Can my friend stay over at Christmas?" He asks in a hurried voice, he had to ask before he talked himself out of it.

Sirius frowns at him,"What friend?"

Phoenix sighs, of course he'd want to know what friend and this is where the plan would already go to shit. There's no chance Sirius would allow Draco Malfoy to spend Christmas with them.

He plasters on his biggest sweetest smile, "Draco."

Sirius blinks, "Malfoy? Draco Malfoy? Well.. I mean no? He's not good news?"

"You're wrong." Phoenix glares, "He's like Uncle Regulus. He's misunderstood. He's nothing like his shitty Father, he's actually really scared of Lucius." Phoenix pauses, contemplating whether or not to tell his Father . He chews his lips anxiously before he spits it out, "Lucius killed his sister, Athena for crying. She was two, Dad. Did you know about that?"

Sirius' blood turns cold as he remembers what his brother had said. He regretted donating, Narcissa wasn't all bad, she would've been a great mother. But oh, it all made sense now.

"We can't send Draco back there incase he's next." Phoenix pleads desperately when his Dad doesn't fill the silence.

Sirius just nods because maybe just maybe, he can save Draco from the fate of the Black/Malfoy family. Maybe he can save Draco in the way he couldn't save Regulus. Perhaps he can step in, the way the Potters stepped in for him and maybe he can save Draco before he's forced to be part of something he's too young too understand.

Sirius hadn't expected to feel a wave of care for the Malfoy heir. It could be that he is biologically is nephew, Regulus' son or maybe it's because it hits so close to home. A young boy, trapped by his abusive and murderous parent. He remembers how scared he was growing up, how he thought he'd always be stuck in the noble house of Black and he refused to accept that. His brother, Regulus, was frightened in a different way. He was frightened, and learnt how to be obedient and respectful.

He waits up for Regulus that night. When he hears the front door, he's in the hallway in seconds, staring at his younger brother. Regulus feels it in his gut, he knows that something has happened, Sirius' face gives it all away. Sirius had never been good at hiding things or keeping secrets.

"I know what happened to Athena." Sirius says, peering between his lashes as his brother steps back in shock.

"I-I can't talk about it." Regulus stammers, already getting choked up by the tears.

"He's staying with us at Christmas."

Regulus blinks in surprise, "No. No. They wouldn't let him stay here."