78.

Kate watches wide eyed as the locket hisses and moves across the table, Remus, Tate and herself hold their wands and take turns firing spells at the Horcrux. It seems to get angrier with each hit, unable to fight back and the tension in the room grows- the three adults can feel their own anger getting worse. It wasn't easy living with a fucking Horcrux, it seemed to whisper to them and taunt them- especially when alone.

Black smoke starts to flow out of the opened locket, they all instinctively step back. A figure appears to stand before them, Remus blinks in confusion as it takes the shape of Zion. Kate lowers her wand, her eyebrows upturned with confusion as she slowly starts to step forward. Zion reaches out a hand towards his Mother, Kate starts to walk forward as if she's in a trance. Everything inside of Remus is screaming at him to do something but he can't tear his eyes away.

It felt so real. It looked so real. It was as if Zion was truly standing there upon the table. Kate let's out a small wet laugh as she steps even closer, evidently overjoyed at seeing her firstborn son safe and well. Remus feels himself compelled towards Zion, just to get a better look and see Sirius' doppelgänger up close.

Suddenly, there's a deadly screech as the image of Zion evaporates and the black smoke spills around the room in clouds, sending a force knocking Remus and Kate backwards to the floor. It snaps them both out of their trance , their ears ringing and hearts racing as they slowly stand. Tate is standing, pale faced with shock, his wand still pointing towards the now destroyed locket.

"H-how did you do..that?"Remus asks gesturing to the locket on the table.

Tate blinks and shakes his head, "I didn't."

He turns to look besides him, both Remus and Kates own eyes following to see Selene stood there, wand-less and shaking. She was home. She hadn't been there for weeks and suddenly she appears like it's nothing and destroys a damn Horcrux. Remus stares at her in disbelief, there was absolutely no way his daughter had managed to do that. It just wasn't possible..especially without a wand. Sensing all eyes on her, Selene checks her now empty hand and frowns with confusion, she glances up at her Dads and across at a tearful Kate and sprints out of the bedroom. It didn't make any sense. How had the sword just appeared and how did she know what to use it for? Where had it gone?

Tate and Remus exchange brief exchanges before running after her, leaving Kate alone. She preferred that, it meant she could drop the act. Her shoulders fall as she slumps into the kitchen chair, staring at the now destroyed locket. She found she couldn't cry, as much as she had when she saw him- it was happiness that led her to tears.

Kate knew she would never be the same again. No parent should out live there child. The only reason she was still here was because she had two more children. Her heart aches at the thought of Phoenix and Marlie, she couldn't guarantee their safety in this world. As a Mother it was the scariest feeling, not being able to keep them safe.

She remembers the fear she had with both of the boys, when they'd decided to make an early entrance. Both times she wanted to keep them safely tucked away, hidden from the world and protected always by her. She had been relieved that Marlie wasn't early, just to have her hopes of a healthy baby dashed with Marlie's diagnosis. It was so unfair.

Kate couldn't remember a time she had felt complete. It seemed that a piece of her heart was always missing. Whether that be when she was alone during her first pregnancy,all the years that Sirius was in Azkaban, Zion passing away or even now, Phoenix being with the death eaters. It felt as if pieces of her were everywhere except with her and it hurt. Most days she felt numb, but she somehow had found a spark within her to keep going and keep fighting. She wanted nothing more than to witness the downfall of the Dark Lord and his followers. There was a particular witch on the dark side, one that Kate would not rest for until she was dead.