77.

Regulus stumbles out of the fireplace back into the living room of 12 Grimmauld place, he steps out of the way making room for Sirius to step out behind him. He looks around, before rushing to the kitchen. Sirius hates being in this house, he brushes himself down as he looks at the hideously decorated home. He didn't understand why Regulus hadn't redecorated, a few plants might make the place look more alive and smell less of deceased house elves.

He hears Regulus' footsteps on the stairs, he hears the opening and closing of doors and then he hears the rushed descending steps. Sirius steps into the hallway, his brother stares at him wide eyed.

"He's not here. He's gone."

Sirius groans in anger, "That fucking idiot! What the fuck is he playing at? He's just fucked up this whole plan-" He cuts himself off, his face softening as his little brother sinks to the floor.

It takes Sirius a moment to recognise the ache in Regulus' shoulders, the pain in his upturned face as he sits on the ground and lets out a gut wrenching sob. He's by Regulus' side within a moment, his arm supporting him as he sobs with his entire chest.

"I-I didn't tell him." Regulus manages to choke out, "I love him a-and-"

"Shush shush shush." Sirius says lowly, resting his head on the top of Reggie's, "It's okay. It's all going to be okay."

Regulus shakes his head, "They'll kill him. Remember? Voldemort can- he will see that I love him and he will kill him-"

"You can block it out." Sirius says reassuringly.

"Not Barty." Regulus cries harder, "I can't block him out. He's just there, constantly a-and I can't get rid of him. He just lives in my mind constantly. I can feel him here." Regulus points to his chest where is heart is and continues to sob.

He regretted not doing something about his forever growing feelings. Perhaps if he had, he would have been enough to make Barty stay.

Regulus wakes up, staring at the starry sky above him. He hadn't meant to fall asleep, for whenever he did he was greeted with moments he should have said something. All the times Barty was so close..

His mind wanders to Evan, the guilt reminding him of why he never acted on how he felt. It should've been fair game now Evan was dead but Evan had been their best friend, one of the reasons they got so close but never enough. Neither of them would ever do that to him.

But he loved Barty. He had always loved Barty. Now the idea of losing him for good at Regulus overwhelmed with regret, he should have just done it. He should have made the first move, pulled his stupid face forward and snogged him. Made it clear, put the ball in his court but he hadn't. Now he would spend the rest of his fucking life wondering 'what if', what if he just made that move? Would that be it or would they have found happiness together? Got a damn dog of their own? He would never know now, all because of fear and betrayal and guilt. He'd never know what it was like to love and be loved in return.

"Is no one else back?" Harry asks with a frown.

"A few should have been here already." Hagrid asks looking around at the near empty field.

Sirius pins Harry against the brick wall, "What year did your Father and I become animagus?"

"What?!"

"Answer the bloody question!"

"T-third year!"

"We we're betrayed. They knew Harry was being moved tonight." Remus explains at Harry's obvious confusion , keeping a close eye on his own daughter- Tate still hadn't returned yet.