The guilt we had

Owen's P.O.V.

I was on my way back to work from Jess's place. I felt relieved that I have something to wear to the ball but I just hope that the outfit will not be a disaster. I have faith in Jess's friend as I have seen his work before but the whole telling everyone that I am Jason's mate is kinda nerve-wracking.

I've been walking mindlessly. I've been too occupied with the thoughts about the ball and all things to pay attention to my surroundings. And suddenly I was pulled back because I banged into someone's back.

"Oh! I'm sorry. I should have seen where I was going." The person said. I think he was walking backward. I looked at his face and it was Aiden.

"Aiden!" I said.

"Hey! Hello, Owen."

"How have you been?" I asked. I can't believe it was the first time I'm seeing Aiden in the town. And he is Jason's BFF and the beta of the pack but I guess we just didn't cross the path. Maybe I did see him sometimes before with Jason but I was always too occupied by Jason to realize he was also there.

"All good." He said with a cheerful smile. "What about you?"

"I'm well too," I replied. And then there was an awkward silence. You know the one when you meet your old classmate after years and you say hi to one another and ask how have they been but then don't know what to talk about. Yup, that's exactly the case here.

"SO, beta. Huh." I said, trying to break the silence.

"Yup. Mr. Architect," he said jokingly. "Or should I say Mr. Future alpha?" he spoke lowering his voice so that people cannot hear it. He only let out air, there was not much sound. I felt my body tense as soon as I figured out what he spoke.

"Wait, how do you know that? Did Jason tell you?" I was not angry or scared like he has been Jason's best friend since forever so it is only natural that he knows but I was still surprised.

"Nah! I figured it out." he looked proud.

"Since when?" I was curious.

"Since high school." He said that it was not a big deal but it was at the same time.

And I was out of words to reply. Like, was it that obvious? I don't think so, I guess he is just sharp and smart.

"Wah. You are good." I said with a praising 'ah' tone.

"I know." and he then started laughing. "Don't worry I have not told anyone about this. My lips had been sealed and they will be sealed," he added and zipped his lips at the end.

"I know you wouldn't do something like that. I know you." I believed Aiden. He is a nice person and also thoughtful.

"Hey, Owen!" he said. His eyes changed. They looked sad and filled with regret. He was looking at the ground not making eye contact with me. "You see, I wanted to apologize," he added.

"For what?" I asked. I really did not know what he was talking about.

"You know..." he paused for a second. It was like he was gathering the courage. "About the high school. About bullying you," he added still not looking at me.

"I'm still not getting it. If I remember correctly, you never bullied me or hurt me." I spoke. It was true. Even though Aiden was Jason's best friend and was always hanging out with the people who were bullying me he never did something that would hurt me. He mostly refrained to talk with me. He would stay quiet in the back looking down or walk away when they did something terrible with me.

"Ya. But I was a bystander. And was friends with them. I should have done something, at least I should have tried." he was feeling really guilty. "I'm at fault too for not intervening." he was still looking at the ground.