80- SAM'S YOUR SISTER

I heard a soft knock on my door, followed by footsteps walking in.

"Hey Sam." Theresa called softly. I turned on my bed to face her only to find Cory standing beside her. "Your friends have all gone. I explained to them that you wanted to be alone." She said, taking a seat on my bed just as I sat up.

Cory on the other hand, pulled out my bedside chair, turned it around and sat, facing us.

"Thank you." I said.

"What happened?" Cory asked, leaning his arms on his thighs as he laced his fingers. I glanced at my brother to see the genuine interest written on his face, showing a glimpse of his becoming. Wasn't it yesterday when he was a little lad?

"I don't think I know them anymore." I mumbled.

"Why?" Theresa asked, concern written all over her face.

"Guys, they have tons of secrets that keep popping up at odd moments. I don't even know what to expect next and honestly, I'm scared. I really hope I'm not with the wrong circle of friends." I said my first lengthy words since I returned home yesterday night. Even at church today, I was more silent than usual and had driven home immediately the morning service had ended, before anyone could notice.

I had also switched off my phone immediately I had left everyone at the restaurant yesterday. So I couldn't tell if anyone had tried to reach me since then. Although I wasn't too surprised that my friends came over today, I had refused to let them in, leaving Theresa no choice but to politely ask them to leave. The funny thing was that I made sure to not feel bad. It was like I really wanted to end my friendship with them. I didn't know what to do and I was scared. Worst of all, I didn't want to pray about it. I didn't know what God would say. What if it was something too big for me to handle?

"Cecilia sent a note from them all." Theresa said. I shook my head.

"I don't want to read it."

"Wow." Cory said, sitting up. "It must have been something really bad." I nodded.

"Not just one thing, I assure you." I said, covering myself further with my blanket.

"Funny, Sam told me his house is experiencing a similar silence." My head snapped up at that information.

"What's that?" I asked curiously. Cory eyed me a bit. I knew he was trying to read me. I almost laughed. We could be so similar at times. He shrugged a shoulder, wrapping his arms around his chest while he lifted a leg over the other.

"Sam said Caleb and Shayne arrived home in the quietest of moods. They barely spoke to each other, leaving him and Carlos confused. Says he knows Carlos would have known by now but he doesn't think they'd tell him." Cory chuckled lightly. "Anyway, he wanted to come over but I told him about your mood. He's still coming over though. Really wants to leave his house. That okay by you?" My mouth parted in shock. Was my brother really caring about my opinion? I almost let out a tear.

"Stop staring and answer." He scrunched his nose up. There! Cory came back! I rolled my eyes but still smiled.

"I don't mind. As long as you all don't come here."

"So have you made any decision or plan concerning your friends?" Theresa asked, cutting in. "You know you'll still see them tomorrow at school." I shrugged.

"Tomorrow will take care of itself." I groaned. "I think I need to pray."

"Yes. Yes, you do." Theresa said, squeezing my hand softly. I looked over at Cory and he gave me a subtle nod. I smiled gratefully. The Psalmist, David, was right. God indeed sets the solitary in a family.