35- THERE'S A GOOD SLAVE!

I pulled up at the school's parking lot later than I have in a long time. I was not usually late to school but for no unknown reason, it had taken me a longer time to get ready for school today.

Theresa had offered to drive me to school but I had declined. Letting her do that would no doubt heighten my anxiety. I took in a deep breath as I let go off the steering wheel which I had been gripping till my knuckles had turned white.

You can do this, Sam!

"Oh Lord, please help me." I whispered, fighting back a sob. "I can't."

Yes, you can.

Taking one final deep breath, I stepped out of my car. I spotted Carlos immediately. But what bothered me was the fact that he was not alone. He was with the bullies. They were all gathered round Caleb's and Ryan's cars. Some were seated on the trunks of their cars, some on the hood, while the rest of them stood. They all seemed to be having fun as they chattered.

Ethan was among them but surprisingly, he did not participate in the chattering. He simply scrolled through his phone as he leaned against Ryan's car. I then noticed Andrew wasn't among them. Neither was Shayne and Brandon. Desperately wanting to not be seen, I kept my head straight as I walked towards the school building.

"Yo, Pears!" It was Ryan. Unconsciously, I had glanced over my shoulders so there was no way I could pretend to not have heard him call. I winced and turned around but stood on my spot. Lifting an eyebrow, I stared right at him. He didn't seem fazed at all, rather he was amused!

"Don't just stand there, come over." He waved. I checked my wristwatch and discovered we still had five minutes before classes commenced. Besides, we all had English for first. There was no way I could decline. Slowly, I walked over to the crew who had all kept quiet and were watching the scene before them, including Carlos.

I kept my head straight, trying to avoid his gaze. Emotions which I had long buried had begun springing up from nowhere. I mistakenly glanced at him to see him already staring at me with a blank expression. Big mistake! For a moment, I got lost in his beautiful brown eyes which had once been able to hold me captive. But right now, I loathed them!

I loathed the fact that even after all these years, he still managed to look much more handsome and not as miserable as I had hoped. His special skin color, which was as a result of the fact that he was biracial, just seemed to make him glow the more! His hair was styled beautifully and gave him a classy look. His uniform also did very little to hide his toned arms and broad chest. Even Emily had found a way to stand beside him.

"Earth to Sam!" Ryan clapped, an amused grin on his face. The fact that he thought I was checking Carlos out made me shudder. Sure, Carlos is easily the most handsome of all the guys, even Caleb couldn't compete with him, but I was not ogling! I in fact loathed what I saw!

"What is it, Ryan?" I said, suddenly finding my voice and pulling my gaze away from Carlos who had also been staring at me blankly. I glanced at the rest and my eyes rested on Caleb whose eyes were a bit narrowed as he observed. I lifted a challenging eyebrow at him but he simply smirked.

"I hear you drive so well." I tensed as I dreaded what would come out next. Surely, Carlos didn't say ANYTHING, right?! "There's a car race coming up after school with a huge cash prize for the winner. You should join in."

"Excuse you? Why would I do that?" I fired, glaring at him.

"Cos you would." Caleb cut in, his eyes promising a whole lot if I didn't accept the offer. Are you kidding me?! I almost groaned.