51- MANNERS, CALEB, MANNERS!

"No way!" I exclaimed, laughing out loud as I gazed through my phone, at Damon's beards which sprouted on his chin. I was currently sitting in my car, parked in front of Caleb's second home. I had received a summon from him minutes ago, after school, and I had driven over only to find NO ONE at the house.

I had texted him angrily but he simply told me to wait. It wasn't long after when Damon's FaceTime came in. So here I was Face timing Damon in front of Caleb's second home. How hilarious?

"Yes way!" Damon laughed along.

"Why?" I asked, genuinely interested. He shrugged.

"It's getting very cold over here?" I nodded.

"Wow, we really haven't had a chat in a long time." I said. The last time Damon and I had a long chat was on the day he returned to Oakland, which was weeks ago. But then he got so busy and was swamped with school work, which was especially caused by his absence from school for weeks, that we barely even got a chance to say 'hi'.

"Well, I'm literally always the one who calls between us!" Damon narrowed his eyes playfully. Ha! I grinned sheepishly. This was pretty true. But then again, I had also been swamped in school problems.

"I don't know your schedule?" I tried an excuse which I discovered was lame as soon as I uttered it. Damon lifted an eyebrow. "Right!" I grinned sheepishly again.

"I'm not offended, though." Damon said, making me smile gratefully. "I mean, I know you have a lot of problems. Cece and I talk a lot about you whenever we can, you know. You're a strong lady!"

"Lady?" I hummed. "I like the sound of that." I smiled smugly as Damon reacted to my comment with a blank stare. "I thank God, really." Damon smiled.

"Yeah. Anyway, like I've always said, if you need anything and I mean it, anything, as long as it's within my power to do, I'm here for you!" I nodded gratefully. Then something struck my mind.

"Damon?" I called.

"Yeah?"

"What was Crystal High like before you graduated?" Damon sat up straight almost immediately. I could see a part of his dorm and I was pretty impressed at how neat and arranged it was.

"Um." He cleared his throat. "That's some questions there. But what exactly do you want to know?"

"Has anything changed?" He stalled a bit, then shook his head.

"Nothing's changed. I can only say people were replaced." He paused, then continued. "It's always been the same structure and same lax authorities."

"I don't understand."

"Okay, for instance, I was the captain of the football team in twelfth grade and the entire team looked up to me. After every major win, the school hosted a party for us that weekend. Stuff went down and whenever an issue came out of it, the school were quick to exonerate themselves, claiming they literally made it clear that the party was for the jocks and anyone who attended, did so at their own risk." He explained.

"What? That's just plain indulgence!" I shook my head in disappointment.

"It indeed was." Damon sighed. "Once, a girl got raped and that was when I realized enough was enough. I literally petitioned the school to stop it. Although, it was restored as soon as I graduated."

"What? Meaning they still do it now?"

"Things don't change in Crystal High, Sam. I doubt they will even when the remaining stakeholders graduate." I immediately knew he was referring to Caleb and the rest. "Although, for what it's worth, it is now strictly for the football team, no other person is allowed, thanks to Candice."