50- IT'S COMPLICATED, SAM

One thing I consider blessed for myself in this whole bully-slavery situation, is the fact that I do not have any class with the female bullies aside P.E. So you could call that an advantage because we barely had any meeting point. Even during P.E, I usually had Shayne with me and whenever I didn't, I stayed away from them as much as possible.

It wasn't so difficult to do because they seemed to be 'harmless' if one didn't cross their paths. I must confess I had expected more from them as bullies but somehow, they bullied some other girls instead of me. Almost like I wasn't touchable, yet. I guessed this because there was a time, amongst others, I mistakenly tripped Alex while we played basketball but she just yelled and screamed, got pacified by her friends and that was it! No retaliation!

I had been surprised but I was not complaining. Peace was what I needed in this school and if I was getting it, with no consequence on any of my friends, I was beyond grateful!

I walked into the changing room and met other girls changing into their P.E clothes. I walked over to my locker, opened it and shoved my backpack in it. Then I noticed sticky notes inside my locker. I pulled one off and it read in bold capitals;

SLUT! 

I squeezed into a ball and tossed it at the floor. I proceeded to do the same to the rest as I heard whispers and giggles. Apparently, some serenity don't last.

"Hey, slut! You're littering everywhere!" A girl said out loud making the entire room erupt into laughter. I recognized her as one of the cheerleaders but I decided to ignore her.

"Let her be, Skylar." Natalie called from behind her locker, where she was undressing.

"What? You're not defending her, are you?" The girl, Skylar, asked in disbelief as I put on my P.E top. I looked to see the discontent look on Natalie's face.

"What is that to you?" She glared. "But of course, I'm not defending her. I don't just feel you've got to waste a minute on her. We all know who she is. Just like her pregnant redhead friend." They 'oohed' and sent themselves into fits of laughter while I tried to block them out. Seriously? They were still on the Cecelia-Pregnancy case?!

"How on earth did two of the most handsome guys in this school fall for her tricks?" Skylar asked in a tone that sounded like that of one in despair. I almost laughed.

"She's not even half as pretty!" One of Skylar's friends who was also a cheerleader, commented.
"And to think she and Carlos actually dated?" I sucked in a sharp breath at that comment. They were pushing my buttons.

"I'm honestly disappointed in Carlos." Right at that moment, I slammed my locker shut, so hard that the sound literally shook the entire room into silence, before walking out of the room angrily. I did hear Natalie mutter some words which made other girls burst into laughter, but I didn't care. They were mean kids and I didn't expect any less from them.

***

A ball of paper landed on my Mathematics note. I turned my head to where the bullies sat to see Ethan giving me a sheepish smile. It was him! I shook my head slightly as I opened the paper to see his almost perfect cursive writing.

Come sit with us!

I lifted an eyebrow as I turned again to look at him. He couldn't be serious, right? Ever since the time Ethan told me to sit on the floor in one Maths class, I had never sat down with the boys.

Lucky for me, I had found a seat beside a girl called Madeline. She was a very quiet girl who barely spoke unless it was necessary. We got along pretty fine since we both minded our businesses.