41- SOMEONE'S GRUMPY

"We're sorry, Sam." Cecilia tried one more time. I didn't reply. Instead, I continued arranging my locker which somehow got scattered due to my busy state while the anniversary program lasted. I hated disorganization of any sort.

Crystal snorted which was followed by a yelp from her as a result of Cecilia prodding her. I spotted a spider and tried to slam it with a book, however, it escaped. I sighed and continued arranging.

"Seriously, Sam! This isn't our fault!" Crystal said. "Entirely!" She added in a mumble, avoiding my glare.

"I'll speak for myself." Lucas began, after a sigh. "It never occurred to me that there were some things you didn't know about Caleb's family."

I still didn't utter a word much to their frustration. They all stood waiting for me to react but right now, I had deliberately turned my focus to arranging my locker. Soon, my friends were whispering among themselves, glancing at me once or twice. I watched them from the corner of my eyes! It wasn't long before I was done.

"I know, Lucas." I began. Their whispering stopped abruptly and they turned their attention to me fully. I sighed. "It still hurts though. The fact that it's like I don't know anything! I just keep getting surprised!"

"We get it, Sam-" Crystal said, but I cut her.

"No, you don't!" I exclaimed. "Do you know how stupid I felt having dinner in the home Caleb, Shayne and Carlos! Like Caleb and Shayne are cousins and no one even cared to inform me! Let's alone Carlos being Caleb's brother!" I was literally fuming.

"Sam, calm down!" Lucas tried to reach to me but I backed away.

"No! Don't touch me." I shook my head. "Who knows? You all could be siblings and I still wouldn't know!" Even I knew that line of thought was ridiculous! But still! With their endless secrets, I refused to be surprised anymore!

"That's not fair!" Crystal spoke up, narrowing her eyes. "I understand you're upset, Sam. I do! But taking it out on us like that isn't fair!" She seemed a bit pissed and unconsciously I took a step back. She had never used that tone before on me. The last I saw of something similar was against Cecilia that day, in the library

"Crystal-" Cecilia tried to caution her but she wasn't ready to listen.

"No!" Crystal said, shrugging Cecilia's hand off her. "Sam, you are never concerned about anything going on in school. Whenever you hear us talk about a rumor, you either hum, don't contribute at all, or space out. You barely keep your head in school! This is not our fault!" I suddenly flared. She had no right to talk to me like that!

"Of course, it isn't your fault!" I knew I was going to say something I was going to regret but I was too angry to calm down. "It isn't your fault because I unfortunately have you as a friend! A friend who'd watch their ignorant friend remain ignorant! A friend who'd rather go to my back and ask my "frenemy" questions about me and him, not even caring about my feelings or whether he was telling the truth! A friend indeed, Crystal!" I slammed my locker in fury as I marched away.

I heard footsteps hurrying behind me but I marched faster, heading towards my English class. I took a quick glance at my wristwatch, we just had five minutes before English class commenced.

"Someone's grumpy." Brandon muttered as I noisily took my seat, attracting stares from the few students in class. Where were the rest? It wasn't like I cared anyway. Cecilia walked in with a sad look on her face. It hurt to see her like that, but they did bring it on themselves!

Somehow, during the past week, Brandon and I had gotten comfortable having a conversation, thanks to the English project we worked on together. He seemed nice and for some reason, he found me funny.