20- HAVE YOU HEARD?

20- HAVE YOU HEARD?

"Outrageous!"

"I know right!" I feigned a gasp as I quickly hid my smirk behind my wine glass. I spotted Cory in the other section of the hall doing the same thing I was doing. My plan for the brunette, who was mean to my little sister and whom I found out from Langston was named Tobias, was a bit severe, according to Cory. So he made a suggestion, and my oh my, it sure was working! At least, my new friend, Mrs Simpson seemed to buy it.

"Lizzy? Have you heard?" Mrs Simpson said to her friend who stood few feet away. Lizzy drew closer quickly, obviously one for rumours!

"What is it Olivia?" She asked and I struggled to keep in my laugh, making a weird noise. This caught the attention of the two women.

"Ah, yes! This angel here," The way Mrs Simpson beheld me with adoration made me feel a bit guilty. "Sam. She gave me a very vital information."

"Which is?" My, my! Curious much, Lizzy?

"Tobias Graham, the richest bachelor in Portland, planted bugs in our offices! The scheming wizard." Well, that was harsh.

"No! You can't be serious!" Lizzy exclaimed.

"Have I ever been dishonest with you Mrs James?" Like a flash, I fled just in time before I faintly heard Mrs Simpson's voice.

"Right Sam?"

***

"It wasn't my fault! Sam initiated it!"

"Me? Melody cried to me! What was I to do?!"

"I assure you T, it was all Cory's idea!"

"Wha-"

"Shut up!" Theresa yelled and we duly clamped our mouths shut. "I can't believe you three!"

We four were currently in the ladies bathroom with our dad and his wife standing outside waiting for Theresa to conclude her tongue lashing.

Somehow, Theresa had found out the sources of the circulating false information from a certain friend of ours that had a big mouth. Langston. Can't blame him though, Theresa can be quite intimidating. Very intimidating actually. One can't fully blame him though, Mrs Simpson had also made sure to attach my name to the information she shared with everyone. In my defense, I claimed to have overheard it from a reliable source, if Cory's plan recital could count as one!

"It wasn't that bad, T." Cory said, trying to calm her down. But it obviously wasn't working.

"Really Cory?!" She snapped. Cory raised his hands in defense. "The Grahams are the richest family in the entire Portland and you just stain their family name for some petty revenge?"

"Petty?" I questioned in disbelief. "Theresa, that guy was being mean to Melody! We couldn't just let it slide!"

"I know he was mean to her! I was there at the beginning, remember?!"

"Then you should've done something!" Cory snapped. My brother had anger issues which we've all been concerned about but right now, I saw his point. Cory was very protective of those he loved and he'd do anything to avenge them of their offenders.

"I could, yes!" Theresa sighed, her eyes fastening on Cory. "But I didn't. Why? Cos vengeance isn't everything! Let God do that for us. He knows how to go about it better." Well, I had to concur there. At times, as humans, we could overdo the whole vengeance thing and even get ourselves hurt. And that was when I remembered a very important information.

The Grahams were dad's friends!

And Theresa was going to work for Mr Graham snr.

Simply wonderful? I don't think so!

"Oh my gosh Theresa, I can't believe we didn't think about the fact that you'd be working for the senior Graham." Cory groaned.

"Gee T! I'm sorry."

"It's my fault." Melody chimed in. "I shouldn't ha-"

"Oh shut up, will you!" Theresa smiled at the three of us. "I'm not bothered about that. I just want us to behave like the true Christians we are." We all nodded just as dad poked his head into the bathroom without permission. So Cory!

"Guys? Tobias is about to deliver a speech."

What?

***

Cory and I were the first to arrive the grand hall just in time to see Tobias Graham standing on the podium where the musicians sat to play. His grip on the microphone was visible. He was angry, I could tell. But he managed to keep it in check.

"Ladies and gentlemen. I don't appreciate time being wasted but I felt this was necessary." Tobias paused, his eyes scanning the hall and when they landed on me, there was a malicious glitter in them. "For some reason which I'd like to know, a certain rumour about me planting bugs in your offices has been flying around." I smirked at him to which he narrowed his eyes.

"Do I have to remind us all that the Grahams are the richest family in the entire Oregon? So why on earth would we want to get information about your nonexistent progress?" This earned a few gasps from his audience. "So I'd like to call on a daughter of a certain family friend of ours. Apparently, she moved with her siblings to Portland recently to reunite with their father, Bobby Pears. And as it stands, she knows nothing about me." Tobias flashed a creepy smirk at me and for a moment, I shivered. Just for a moment! Because at that point, Tobias announced.

"Please join me to welcome Samantha Pears, the genesis of the rumor to this podium. Apparently, she has something to say about that." What? "Right, Sammy?" He smirked. Sammy? Sammy?!

Oh you're on Tobias!

And with a graceful smirk amidst whispers and gasps, I ascended the podium.

I felt the title was apt for the chapter 😁. What do you think?

On Sundays, in Nigeria, we say, A Happy Sunday! ;) 💃

Shirley!!!