49- WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THEM

So sorry it's coming minutes late, guys! I had to make this chapter have more than one scene. Thanks for your patience!❤️

49- WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THEM

One thing I've always dreaded in my high school life is for my life to turn out to be a soap opera. Since I can remember, I have always patterned my life in such a way that people barely knew me in school. I've always been a goody-two-shoes that no one hated nor loved.

I never really had friends. Only few girls who lived few blocks from our house back at Boise. We somehow happened to have attended the same schools from kindergarten up till high school before I eventually relocated. Those two girls were best friends. I was just their other friend. Aside them, I had Joe. I had bumped into him at the beginning of high school. I had been bumping into people since forever!

He eventually became my seat partner and we became great friends. None of my friends were exactly rich but their families could afford the basic needs of life. Joe was my closest friend and it still hurts that we were separated. Apart from him, I didn't really miss anyone that much.

When Carlos had come into my life, I wasn't prepared for the exposure. I never was! So I had made it difficult for him to parade me as his girlfriend. Carlos wasn't exactly a loud guy but seeing as he was a jock and in the basketball team, he was very popular. Carlos had been considerate enough to minimize public attention from us. Thus, everyone knew when we were dating but no one knew when we broke up. Apart from Joe, only his friends knew. But they didn't know why, surprisingly!

However, as soon as he left, the news spread all over. But most people thought our break up was due to his relocation and not anything intentional. So I was able to enjoy peace till we left Boise for Portland. Thus, I was never used to being in the spotlight and the subject of discussion of the entire school.

This was why as I was seated in my car waiting for Shayne, I felt an unusual panic. Was this beginning? Shayne had called me earlier this morning instructing me not to step out of my car as soon as I arrived school. I didn't think it was something serious, not until I received as conference call from Cecilia, Lucas and Crystal.

With panic, I had visited the 'latest gist' column of the school's "website" only to be greeted with two pictures. One of Shayne and me pulling away from a hug, staring into each other's eyes and another of Carlos and me, two years ago, doing the same thing! I felt my breath cease as I saw the caption:

"Once a slut, always a slut. Can't believe they both fell for her trick!" 

I immediately felt my head spinning as I disconnected the call. For about thirty minutes, I struggled to convince myself against skipping school but I couldn't. It wasn't until Theresa asked me if I was okay, that I was able to collect myself together. There was no way I was going to tell her that! I didn't want any further drama!

Deep down, I knew there was nothing much I could do. The first part of my past was out. It probably wouldn't take long before the details were spilled! I felt my chest tighten as I gasped for air. This couldn't be happening!

I heard a tap and I raised my head to see Shayne's face hovering over the window. I unlocked the car. I watched as he took a quick glance around before he got in. I was parked few blocks from school so it was normal he checked to see if he was being followed. Although I was pretty sure he wasn't concerned for himself but for me. Unlike what I expected, he seemed to be handling the situation rather calmly.

"Hey." He said, smiling. I noticed the beautiful and expensive gold wristwatch Caleb had purchased for him, on his right wrist. I guess they had made up then.