42- TWENTY QUESTIONS?

I felt the feeling of Deja Vu wash over me as I stepped into the Hart's apartment. The door had been opened so I had walked in quietly. I didn't want to run into anyone, unprepared.

The faint smell of wood still dared to scent despite the fact that they recently got painted. I spotted the cabinet of glass doors that contained awards which I had seen the last time I was here. It was still locked. The chest of drawers I was once obsessed with was still nowhere to be found.

"How may I help you?" A voice called. I looked up to see a woman who looked to be in her forties. She had auburn hair, tied into a bun, blue eyes and was the exact spitting image of Crystal and Candice. She stood at the entrance of the kitchen, an apron tied about her.

"Good day, ma'am. You must be Crystal's mother. I'm Sam, a friend of hers." She smiled a little.

"She's in her room." She said, simply, before retreating into the kitchen. I stood there confused for a moment. She seemed a bit distant. I was pretty sure it was as a result of Candice's death. I didn't know whether to go over and say my condolences. Before I thought about it, my legs took me to the kitchen where I found her chopping onions.

"Mrs Hart?" I called, in a cautious tone. She paused a little, then raised her head to look at me.

"Yes, dear?" I bit my lower lip before saying,

"I know it may not be my business because I never met Candice." Her face fell as soon as I mentioned her daughter's name. "But I did hear a lot of great things about her and I'm really sorry for you loss."

Even from where I stood, I could notice her eyes getting teary. She sniffed a bit but even I knew it wasn't because of the onions. However, she quickly composed herself.

"Thank you so much. You're kind." I curtsied a bit, before taking my leave. I hadn't taken five retreating steps away from the kitchen before I bumped into someone behind me.

"Woah!" Shayne said, steadying me. I huffed.

"If I got a dollar for every time I bumped into you, I would have enough money to build a mansion, by now." I muttered. Shayne laughed lightly.

"Trust me, not as the amount I'd make with the number of times you make me laugh." Huh? Somehow, I blushed in embarrassment. I suddenly frowned, remembering last Saturday.

"Where is everybody?" I asked, sidestepping him.

"In Crystal's room." He said, leading me to her room. As soon as we got to the door to Crystal's room, Shayne turned to me,

"You know, Sam, I never meant to hurt you by hiding the truth." I said nothing as I pursed my lips. He took it as a cue to continue, "I know how much you despise Caleb. I didn't want it to affect our friendship." I sighed, not really knowing what to say.

"I'm feeling a lot right now, Shayne. I don't know what to do or say." He nodded, showing understanding, as he pushed the door open.

It was the first time I was inside Crystal's room and I must say I was impressed by what I saw. Just like Cecilia and I, it was obvious Crystal also paid attention to hygiene. Her room was neatly arranged and decorated, everything screamed 'order'!

The only thing that seemed disarranged was the chest of drawers which was open and which my friends were gathered round. I recognized that chest and I suddenly felt giddy with excitement! Creepy, I know!

"Hey guys." I said, a bit cautious. I still didn't know if they were still angry at me. They all paused and turned to me. Immediately, Cecilia stood up and hurried over to me, engulfing me in a hug. I suddenly felt bad for ignoring her throughout English class.