Chapter 32

Tuesday, March 26, 1986. California. Mall.

Steve's Perspective

I made my way out of the store to Eddie. "What the hell was that about Eddie?! Just trying to ditch me?" I was right next to him.

"I didn't want to interrupt your schmoozing." He didn't even look at me.

"What? We were just talking! All she did was ask about my hair." What the hell was his problem?

"That's a load of bullshit and you know it." Eddie finally looked at me. I was just frozen.

"Bullshit huh?"

Once I said that, I was in a whole new room. Was this my old bathroom? Was I back in Hawkins?

"Bullshit." Nancy muttered, trying to wipe the stain off her shirt. Was I back in '84? This can't be real. Right? But it felt so real.

"Nance, you've had a lot to drink. Let's get you some water." I tried to fill up a glass in the sink. It ended up getting smacked out of my hand. Glass shattered all over the counter. "What the hell Nance!" She truly had too much to drink. I began trying to pick up the shards. That was until red began dripping from my hand. How was that possible? I didn't feel it at all. "Nancy. Please just go home." I turn to her. "Get someone to take you home."

With whatever soberness she had, she understood. She went to the door and turned the doorknob. Muttering "Bullshit." Under her breath as she walked out. It was such a simple word. But why did it hold so much power against me? Stop it Harrington. Stop getting emotional. Stop fucking crying!

My eyes had started watering. It wasn't out of pain, or the fact that Nancy just left me. Why was I getting so emotional over Eddie saying it. It was just a simple talk!

"Steve!"

My eyes opened to Eddie. He was scared. Shaking my shoulders to try to get my attention. "Steve! Are you there?!" He cupped my cheeks. Why was he so afraid? He was just mad at me. Why does he care.

"Shit! His hand!" Henderson pointed out. I raise my hand to see it gashed open. Dripping onto the tile floor. Only now it began stinging.

"What the fuck did you do?!" Eddie took his bandana out from his pocket and wrapped it around my hand. I jerked my hand back in a wince. "Keep pressure on it." My blood began soaking into it. Staining it.

"I don't know what happened. I was just.." How the hell do I describe this without sounding insane. "I was back in Hawkins." Eddie looked confused at first. His eyes were furrowed. But it seemed to click with him only a moment later.

"Were you surrounded by darkness? Random voices muttering to you?" Eddie kept pressure onto my hand despite him telling me to do that.

"No. It was like I was in a memory. Except I altered it. I was the one that left first. Not her."

Eddie furrowed his brows again. "Her?" He let go of me. His arms dropped to his side.

"Nance. I went back to '84. I was back at my house Eddie." I looked to my hand. How the hell did it transfer. All the kids were gathered around me. Even El was confused. What the hell is happening. Whatever it is, it seems to be affecting both me and Munson. But his are like nightmares it seems.

"Steve." Eddie snapped his fingers in my face. Jolting me back to reality. "Sorry, I was afraid you went back there." Eddie looked around. "How about we head home. You seem like you need to rest." Eddie held onto his own arm. Was he alright? Why was he acting like this? 

"Okay..." I looked to the group of kids. They seemed slightly disappointed on going home already. "We'll get Jonathan to pick you guys up in a bit. You can find a phone somewhere around here. Have fun and don't get yourself killed." Eddie and I walked off. waving bye to the kids. 

On the car ride back. 

"Eddie. Are you actually okay?" I look over to him from the passenger seat. My finger traced around the sides of the bandana wrapped around my hand. 

"I could be asking you the same thing Harrington." He kept his eyes on the road. I could see his fingers tighten on the wheel. 

"You were acting so different in that store. Why did me talking to that girl upset you so much?" My hand clenched, wincing to the fact that my nails dug into my wound. 

"Careful Harrington. You're going to make the wound worse." Was he trying to change the subject? "That will turn into a nasty scar if we don't treat it properly." His shoulders were still tense. The grip on the wheel not easing up at all. 

"Eddie.." 

"Steve!" He pulled over and threw the car into park. Looking over at me finally. He choked on his words before even saying anything. "I'm scared Steve. Scared I am not enough. I am not pretty. Not even in the slightest. I can't compete with anyone in that mall. Hell! Even Hawkins!" Eddie's whole body was trembling. "It's not that I don't have trust in you Steve. I am afraid that you don't actually like me. And to add onto that, I was the one that ruined your relationship with your parents." Tears began falling out of his eyes. 

I reach over and pull Eddie into a tight hug. He hesitated for a moment, then pressed his face into the crook of my neck. "There is nothing to be afraid of Eddie. This feeling I have for you isn't going anywhere. Fuck! I still get butterflies when we accidently make eye contact!" I cup his cheeks and look into his eyes. "As for my parents. That relationship was beyond ruined when they decided to leave me for months alone as a kid. You did nothing wrong. You actually saved me. You got me away from that hell hole and enlightened me on feelings I didn't know I had." 

The world around us felt gone. That it was just us. Alone. That no one could interrupt us. "You Steve Harrington, somehow managed to make me fall for you harder." Eddie pressed a kiss onto my corner lip. Those soft kisses always get me. "Now, let us go home and fix that hand of yours." Eddie let go of me to grab onto the wheel. "You get the good ol Dr. Munson to fix you up." 

"I'm not sure if I trust that, Dr. Munson." I looked down at my hand. It didn't hurt much anymore.

At the Byers Household. 

"Fuck!" My non-injured hand gripped onto the counter. "That shit burns!" 

"How do you think I felt when I got stabbed? You did this to me. Funny how it comes full circle. Not hold still or I will strap your hand down." Eddie had been holding my hand down because I had been moving way too much. 

Eddie started wrapping my hand. "This hurt way more than what you made it out to be." My eyes narrowed at him. 

"Thats because It happens a lot. You learn how to mask it. I thought you'd be able to do that because of how much you get beaten up." After he finished the wrapping, he kissed my palm. "Just for extra luck on the recovery." 

"For one, thank you. Two, rude." My cheeks heated up slightly by that small act. 

"I know, I know. I'm sorry." Eddie left the bathroom and I soon followed. "...Do you want to talk about what happened in the mall? What made you snap out of reality?" His eyes looked up into mine. I don't know if I can tell him. It's such a stupid reason that I don't want him to know.

"We're back!" Jonathan called out from the living room. "What the.." Me and Eddie both went out to where they were. The tv changed to a news channel. 

"The death of two Hawkins high students have been discovered. Our current suspects of the murders are the Tiger's basketball team. If you see these people, report to the police immediately." The photo of the whole team was shown. 

"Jason... How disgusting. We need to find him and make him pay-" Eddie was quickly cut off by Dustin. 

"Lucas would never do this! We need to prove his innocence!" Dustin looked at us. "We need to get back to Hawkins. Lucas can't do this alone!" 

"Okay. Everyone pack your bags. I'll call Argyle, we can use his van and Eddie's. Someone get mom and tell her to pack her bags as well." Jonathan went to the closest phone. 

With that being said, we went off to get our stuff. Time for the long drive back. Hopefully nothing bad happens to Lucas. We need to help him.