Chapter 36

Friday, March 29, 1986. Hawkins Indiana. Hawkins High.

Eddie's Perspective.

We are really breaking into the school while on break. This cannot end well. "Hurry up Munson. Someone will see us." Harrington kept looking behind us. Seems he was paranoid we would be seen. 

"If you would shut up, it wouldn't take so long!" I whisper shout to him. Turning my attention back to the lock. A heavy breath left my lips as I continue to pick the lock. 

"Well, get faster! You might need to do it again." His foot began tapping. Picking up speed with each tap.

"I swear I will stab you with this bobby pin once I'm done." The rest of the group were looking for other openings into the building. 

Eventually I manage to unlock the door and push it open. "Will that stay unlocked or are we going to be trapped inside?" How am I into such a stupid guy. 

"No. Even if we do, we can hop out of a window. It shouldn't be too much of a problem." I held the door open for Harrington. Following after him afterwards. "What are we even looking for?" God this place is eerie when no one was here. And dark. This place just sucks with or without people.

"I'm guessing the principal's office has the keys to everything. So, let's start there and think of something on the way. I'll race ya!" Steve began running down the hall. 

"Hey!" I try to run after him, but that goddamn swimmer is just far more faster than me. Running out of breath once reaching the door. "I... regret this.." I put my hands onto my knees in an attempt to catch my breath. 

"Loser." Harrington attempts to open the door but alas it was locked. "Want to show me how to pick locks?" His eyes lit up about the learning moment. 

I look over to him. My eyes turn into a squint at him. "why the hell does Steve Harrington need to break into somewhere? If you're looking to break into my home. One, I would always let you in. Two, I leave my window unlocked. It would be very easy to break in." I crouched down, getting onto my knees and began picking the new lock. 

"That is very dangerous. Why the hell would you leave it unlocked?!" Steve pulled me away from the door so I would look at him. Causing me to fall onto my ass. 

My shoulders shrugged. "It's fun to sneak out. And I smoke a lot in my room, and I don't feel like unlocking my window each time." I turn away from Steve to continue to work on the lock.

"It's still very stupid." Harrington sits down next to me and leans against me. 

"Steve." He looked over at me. "What if they actually did it?" I stopped what I was doing. "Jason could've easily killed Chrissy over anything. You know how violent he is. I just don't know why he would do it to Fred." My eyes slowly drifted to Steves direction. "I believe the rest of the team. I really do but..." 

"Do you really think he did it? That he could easily snap their limbs like that? Hell! make their eye pop!-"

"We don't know if any of that is true! Jason is an asshole! He is insane! He could easily lie if he truly wanted to!" I put my hand over my mouth. 

We both drew silent. Neither of us knew what to even say. What could we even say. I went back to picking the lock. 

Before I could get the lock picked, sirens made themselves known. We both let out a "shit" under our breath. 

"Here. This way." I take Steve's hand and began walking the Hellfire Club room. Knowing it was exactly like my window. 

"Whoever you kids think you are, get out!" Someone shouted from the hall. Steve held onto my hand slightly tighter. I could see the room. We were nearing it. "You kids must think you're so funny!" The cop was just around the corner. I froze up. Fuck. Shit. Fuck! Harrington grabbed me by the arm. Pulling the both of us into a supply closet. It was so cramped in there. My hands gripped onto the back of his shirt. Pushing my face into Harringtons chest to muffle my breathing. 

Footsteps echoed through the halls. Getting louder until it finally stopped. Steve put his hand over his mouth to be quieter. My heartbeat got louder with each beat. So was Steve's. I could feel it. The footsteps continued down the hall. The both of us let out a breath. 

We turn our heads to look into each other's eyes. Both of us silently agreeing to stay put until the cop leaves.