Chapter 48

Sunday, March 31, 1986. Hawkins Indiana. Creel House.

Steve's Perspective.

Fuck. This is terrifying. Looking up at this giant house made me feel so small in comparison. It looked like if you took a step inside, it would crumble under pressure. 

As I stepped foot into the house and 'You might believe in Heaven, I would not care to say.' Sang into my ear. 'For every star in Heaven. There's a sad soul here today.'  This album really had to be my favorite. Long away. Not the best song in the album, but it's up there. 

All of us spread out with our lights. We had to wait for the other side. God, I hope Eddie is okay. I haven't been in that side for too long. But it was long enough to know how deadly it is. Should I have asked more for him to stay with me? It's too late now anyways. Eddie can fend for himself. 

I happen to look over, Mike was waving his arms to get our attention. Shit. The group made its way up stairs. We all looked at the flashing light. Its time. I can't delay it any longer. 

I stand in front of the light. Taking a moment to listen to the song while the other's signaled to El who would wait. 'Take heart, my friend, we love you. Though it seems like you're alone. A million lights above you. Smile down upon your home. Oh, hurry-' I turned the song off before it finished. I slowly made my way down and sat on the ground. Setting the Walkman down. 

My face was filled with the blue light. All I could do was look at it. "It's just me and you fucker." Despite Mike and Will being in the room with me, it felt empty. Like I was just talking to the light. "You've wanted me for ages, right? So, what are you waiting for?" 

Nothing. How long is this supposed to take? How much more of this can I take? "You want to keep remind me of my father, right? Well. Where is he? Show me him if you're not a coward." My finger began tapping on my leg. 

A sigh escaped my lips. "Even if you do kill me. You'll probably be doing a lot of people a favor. My parents have probably always wanted me gone. I mean, they've never been home to prove otherwise. Nearly killing Eddie just because we were... together." It was weird finally saying it out loud. 

"You two are actually together?" I hear Mike speak up. I turned around and faced him. 

"What? You're not supposed to-" 

"-I thought it was just a rumor. You're actually that disgusting. Gay? I didn't think you could get any lower." What was he saying? Wait. 

I got up as fast as I could, but it wasn't that fast. I got as far away from them as I could. My heart was pounding out of my chest. Happy thought. Maybe that would help. Think. Think for Christ's sake! 

Suddenly I was sat on a rock. This is. Before I met Eddie. Just moments before. Mike got completely wasted. I thought Eddie was going to be swallowed by the lake. I missed when things were like this. Things were so easy. 

All I need to do is wait. They will solve this. I just need to win. Will and Mike are there to help me if something happens.