Chapter 61

Friday, April 25, 1986. Hawkins Indiana. Wheeler Household.

Steve's Perspective. 

It's time. Time to hear Nancy out. I talked with Eddie about it. He still doesn't want to see her yet but said it was okay for me to talk to her. 

I was sitting in my car for a while before getting out. I grabbed a crutch and walked to the front door. 

My heart was thumping. I could barely focus. My hand floated above the door. All I could hear was my breath. Right as I was about to knock, Mike opened the door. His eyes shot open when he saw me. "What are you doing here?" 

"I was just going to talk to Nance." I stepped out of the way for Mike to pass. He gave me a small thumbs up as he passed. I turned my attention back to the doorway. Stepping inside after a moment. "Nancy?"

I closed the door behind me. She eventually went down the stairs and looked at me. "What? Came to mock me more?" She leaned against a post on the stairs. 

"What? No! Of course not!" I stepped closer to her. "I came to talk. I want to know why about all of that," A sigh escaped Nancy. Stepping off the steps and waved me over to the couch. 

I slowly followed her to the living room. Gradually making my way down onto the couch. Nancy sat across from me. Neither of us said anything for a solid minute. "I was scared." Nancy finally spoke. "Those things that attacked, we have never seen before. They looked like they could take us all out instantly." Nancy was fidgeting with her thumbs. 

I sat quietly and just listened. 

"It was dark. I didn't know how close he was. I wanted to get actual help out there to find him." Her eyes finally looked into mine. "If I had known how close he was, I swear I would've instantly ran over to help him. I promise," Nancy's eyes began to be filled with red. Water building up. "I-I just wanted to make sure the rest of us got back safely. I couldn't let anything happen to Dustin.. He has gotten some of his childhood ripped away from him because of those things. I would've never forgiven myself if he died out there." 

She buried her face in her hands. "Nancy.." I pushed myself up and went over to her. Pulling her into my arms. "We should've sent more people out with you guys." 

Nancy's hands gently placed onto my back. "I know Eddie is strong. He's made it through so much. I just hope someday he can talk to me about it. I will wait as long as he needs." Nancy slowly let go and looked up at me. "How is he doing now?"

"He's holding up. Got these scars on the sides of him and on his neck. But now he's working and getting his grades decent enough to graduate." I had a small smile on my face as I talked. "We moved in together to make things easier. Sometimes we watch over the kids." 

Nancy put her hands in her lap. "I'm glad he's doing better. Now that he's in your hands, I'm sure he won't be in any more danger," She gently punched my arm with a smile. "You better arrive to our graduation. We will be disappointed if you don't, And I will hunt you down." 

Nancy then stood up. "I'm glad I could hear your side. It helps." I followed her up. "Please take care of yourself." I gave her one final hug before heading for the door. "Cya," I waved her bye, she did the same. 

I made my way out to my car. Once I was inside, I let out a a very audible sigh. I can't stay mad at her forever. She was just trying to do what she thought was right. But then again, what if Eddie did die out there? 

Bleeding out alone on the ground of the upside down. Bats chomping on his flesh. Screaming out in pain. 

Steve! Why the hell are you thinking this?! He is alive and well. Actually, he seems a little unwell. That kid he saw and drew, it had to be himself. I should talk to him about it.