Chapter 63

Saturday, April 26, 1986. Hawkins Indiana. Forest.

Dustin's Perspective. 

I was sat on a random rock in the forest trying to do some homework. The quietness of the forest was always the best place to relax. Very rarely people would show up here. 

"Henderson?" I heard behind me, causing me to turn around. Lucas stood there, clutching onto a bag. "What are you doing all the way out here?" 

I put away my things and stood up. "I could ask you the same thing." I started walking over to him. "How have you been? It feels like we haven't talked in ages." 

Lucas began fidgeting with the bag strap. "Honestly, no. Everyone has been staring at me and whispering things. It's miserable." Lucas couldn't even look at me. His shoulders were tense. 

I couldn't say anything. I just went up to him and pulled him into a hug. My face was just tall enough to rest my face into his shoulder. 

"I'm scared they'll attack me even though I didn't do anything." Lucas's grip tightened around me. 

My eyes turned up and looked at him. "I know it'll be hard, but you need to ignore them." Lucas let go of me and turned away.

"I can't! Where the hell do I look when every single person around me thinks I murdered Chrissy!" Lucas's hands were trembling. He could barely catch his breath. 

"Lucas. Please calm down. Getting this panicked won't help at all," Lucas turned to me. "Do you want to walk around to clear your mind?" 

Lucas nodded and began walking. "Do you usually come out here to do work?" Lucas's eyes turned to my direction. 

I grabbed my bag and jogged after him. "A lot of the time, yeah." I held onto the strap of the backpack. "I like the sound of the trees and everywhere else is very distracting." 

"This area is quite nice. Though I have heard that a lot of people had been attacked by wild animals. So watch out for that," Lucas looked over at me with a small smile. I've only now noticed how baggy his eyes had gotten. I guess countless sleepless nights really does that to you. 

"I'll make sure to watch out-" Something suddenly shot out of nowhere. The both of us screamed out in terror. Lucas threw his hands out in an attempt to protect me. I assume so anyways. 

"What the fuck was that thing!" Lucas turned to me when the thing left. "It was like a mini bear!" 

I looked to the spot that the thing ran off to. "If it is a mini bear then we better get out of here," 

We laughed and ran off to the main roads.