The Competition Begins

My name is Melody Ziegler. I'm the third daughter of Melissa and Kurt. My parents split up a few months after I was born. Maddie is the oldest and she is eight years old. Mackenzie is the middle and is six years old. I was packing my dance bag and I put my last thing in. We are getting filmed for a show called Dance Moms. I think it's very exciting to be on t.v.

"Mel, Kenz, Mads! It's time to leave!" Mommy yelled. I zipped up my bad and I ran downstairs.

"I'm ready, Mommy." I smiled. She grinned at me. A few seconds later, Maddie and Mackenzie both show up. We walked out of the door and got into the car. Kenzie and I played ispy for a few minutes. We got to the studio and we hopped out of the car. Kenzie and I rushed to beat the other inside.

"Hello!" Miss Abby greeted.

"Hi, Miss Abby!" I smiled.

"Hi, Ab." Melissa addressed. We walked past the front desk and into the dancer's den. A few minutes later, the rest of the girls showed up. We all hugged and started talking excitedly about being on t.v.

"Are you excited, Brookie?" Kenzie asked.

"No, not that much, for the dancing. The t.v. show I'm a little excited." Brooke shrugged.

"Aw come on, Brooke! You need to get more pumped!" Paige said jumping up and down.

"I agree with Paige." Chloe smiled.

"I'm just nervous with embarrassing myself." Maddie said shaking her hands.

"Don't be Mad, you're great." Nia assured. We continued the small talk before Abby called us into pyramid and I sat down next to Kenzie. It's based on behavior, performance value, mothers acting out, etc.

"All right girls it's the first day of rehearsal for the new competition season. Ladies, you all know why you're here. You are the cream of the crop of your age group, and I have lots of new ideas in store. I'm going to do something that no other studio in the country does. Every single competition we are doing a new routine." Abby revealed. I turned to look at Mommy. I think Abby has lost her mind. Abby immediately scolded us.

"Girls, don't look at your mothers. I am the coach, I am the teacher. I can make you, or I can break you." Abby continued. Abby finally, very dramatically, revealed the pyramid.

Maddie

Chloe Brooke

Paige Nia Mackenzie Melody

"Everybody wants to be front and center, I hear it all the time. Whoever is in the front and center, they can't make a mistake. They are holding that group together. So at the top right here I have Maddie because she is dedicated and because of her stellar record last year... Maddie, are you ready to be front and center? Can you handle that pressure?" Abby asked. Maddie weakly nodded.

"Our first competition is in Phoenix, Arizona. Ladies, I chose Phoenix, Arizona because I want you to experience some of the best competition teams in the country. We are going to do two new numbers– a high energy, really cute, adorable routine with Maddie, Chloe, Paige, Brooke, and Nia. Than also a trio with Maddie, Chloe, and Paige. Unfortunately, Mackenzie, Melody, you're too young to dance at West Coast Dance Explosion, but you're still going to go with us anyway." Abby explained.

*Interview*

"I'm confused by what Abby means that we are 'still going with them anyway.' Where does she think we we'll stay?" I say before starting to laugh.

"Girls, we are going to win in Phoenix, and the next competition we're going to win, and the next competition we're going to win, and that's all gearing up for Nationals. So let's get to it. We are going to begin the choreography. So, Moms, you can be dismissed, and girls, let's go to Nationals and bring home the winning trophy. All right?" Abby finished. After the cameras stopped rolling for a second I left the room with the mothers. As Christi calls it, 'Dance Jail.' While I was up there before I left to an acrobatics class, I was playing with Clara and keeping her entertained with coloring.