Return of the Candy Apples

I really didn't want to go to school today. Olivia and Hannah go to school on the other side of town, so I could only hang out with Noah. I changed into my outfit. Before Mommy braided my hair.

"Aw! You look so cute!" Maddie said

"Thanks." I responded.

~

It was a long day at school and Noah and I just talked most of the time. During recess, we just sat and talked because Abby doesn't want us to be tired before rehearsal.

~

"I want to start off talking a little bit about dance troupe, in Greensboro, North Carolina. That was not the group in Lake Tahoe that just won a national championship." Miss Abby starts pyramid, "Obviously, cute still works in the Carolinas. Kendall, you did your solo scared to death. That face was not an Abby Lee Miller face, that's for certain-"

"Abby, that was her first time-" Jill interrupts.

"Shh, you don't get to talk, it's my turn." Miss Abby tells Jill, "This weekend, we are headed to Columbus, Ohio. You know who lives in Ohio."

"Candy Apples!" Chloe cheers.

"We are going there, and she will be at the competition." Miss Abby continues, "I don't want any squawking between the mothers. You are all on the same team, and we're all gonna take a bite out of that big apple." We all laugh, "All right, we're gonna start with the pyramid. On the bottom: Kendall. You are on probation. That means that I'm watching you like a hawk. Do you understand me?" Kendall nods and Miss Abby reveals the next headshot, "Melody. You didn't get to do much in the group dance, I need you to prove to me that you can be on this team. Every day I see you improving, but I want you to work harder." Miss Abby explained, I just frowned at her comment. How am I supposed to prove myself if I don't get to do anything?

Maddie

Chloe Nia

Paige Brooke Mackenzie Melody Kendall

"Every single person is gonna be in the group dance. It is called 'Bad Apples'. It's a little 40's, has a little novelty, but it's a little Katy Perry." Miss Abby tells us, "It's a little kicked up. So, I want the pin-up girl look. We have the rat, we have the snood. If you don't know what a rat and a snood is, go google it and figure it out. When you go onstage for that competition, you'd better be on fire."

"Brooke, you're doing a solo. Cathy has a girl entered your age, I want you to make applesauce out of that kid. Backstage, freak that kid out. I want that kid on tears before she ever steps on that stage." Well that's a little dramatic. The moms were dismissed and us girls started rehearsing. I left Studio A after a while because of my class with the minis.

"Are you excited for ballet?" I asked.

"No, I'm so bad at it!" Olivia frowned.

"Same here, but I guess that's why we are having the class.'' Hannah agreed.

"Are you excited for being in the group dance this week?" Noah asked.

"Not exactly. I don't get to do much as usual." I shrugged. Before our conversation could finish we had our class.

~

*Two Days To Competition*

Time for the group dance again. I run out of the wing, do a side aerial and land on my side for the final pose, in front of the basket Kenzie sits on. I still don't understand how Miss Abby wants me to prove myself.

*One Day Till Competition*

I was sitting next to Kenzie on the way to the competition.

"Bus driver Jim, why didn't we jump on the turnpike and hit 79 the other way so we would miss all this traffic?" Miss Abby asks. Kenzie and I just look at each other. Finally, we got to Ohio and the hotel. There was a note for the moms for a party at Cathy's. Being the people they are, they went. While us girls just stayed in the same room.

"Pillow fight!" Paige yelled. Everybody got pillows and started fighting. Mackenzie and I teamed up and made a fort. The rules were if you got hit you had to drop down until the next round. Maddie out, Nia out, Brooke out, Chloe out. It's only Paige, Mackenzie and I. Before I got hit I yelled a surrender. Currently, Mackenzie was running around scared. Paige won. I got very tired and I decided I wanted to go to sleep.

*Day of Competition*

"Ow!" I say as Mommy puts the snood in my hair. I start moving around making her stressed.

"Melody Raine!" Mommy said and I immediately felt bad. I slumped down in my chair. She finished and I left to go stretch and go backstage.

~

"Next up to the stage, Abby Lee Dance Company with, 'Bad Apples'." The announcer said and I just waited backstage. Finally it was my little part and I finished the dance.

"Next up, Candy Apples Dance Company with 'Vale Hispaniola'." There is no way that her students are the same age as us. The moms call Vivi a human prop, yet she gets to do more than me. Paige, Brooke, and Maddie all did their solos.

~

"She doesn't seem like she was from Cathy's studio at all." Kelly says.

"She's at least 15." Christi says, "There's no way that girl is 11 or 12."

"I don't think so either." Mommy agrees.

"They're questioning Erica's age!" Chloe tells us.

"Who is?" Mommy asks.

"The competition." Chloe answers.

"Yeah, 'cause I was back there, and the girl walked over and goes, 'We need birth certificates for Cathy's students'." Brooke adds.

"Hi, Abby." We all look over to the competition director, Leigh.

"Hi." Miss Abby says, "How are you?"

"Good." Leigh answers, "We got somebody questioning Brooke's age."

"Okay, she's 13-"

"When's her birthday?"

"January 30th of 1998." Kelly answers.

They kept going back and forth talking about the age. Here was the awards. Bad Apples got first, Garden of Eden got first, Snow White got first, and Poison Apple didn't place. We made applesauce!