The Politics of Dancing

"Well look at you. The first one in. Wow. I love that you and your child are the first ones in the door." Abby commented towards Asia. Kenzie and I walked in behind her. Kenzie is wearing an ankle brace for her foot.

"Congratulations, Asia. It was your first time competing with the Abby Lee Dance Company and you were the big winner." Abby announced. We all started clapping and I gave Asia a side hug.

"All right. How come four strangers that don't dance together on a daily basis, that aren't taught by the same teacher, come together and tell the story? Connect with each other? You're all together every single day. I didn't see that connection. I don't think some of you want to be here. And I certainly don't think any of you work hard enough. The pyramid today. First... Mackenzie. Mackenzie, you're injured. You didn't dance. You stayed home. And next... we have Brooke. You are fifteen years old. We all make choices. If you want to work hard, you'll get better. Next... Chloe. Chloe, you were part of a trio. That trio should of won. It was second. You fell out of the turns early. You hit the floor before everybody else. And next... Kendall. You were also part of a trio that came in second. And now... Maddie. Maddie, you were part of the trio, too. What went wrong? Next... Melody. You did good with your solo, your technique was strong, you executed some difficult steps, but you came in second, maybe it's because you didn't show anything with your face. Next... Paige. Paige, if I gave you the responsibility to be part of the group number, then work harder. And next... I have Nia. Nia, you've been flying under the radar. You're here because you're like... Switzerland. And next, on top of the pyramid, is Asia. You were our big winner. This is a reflection of your score... not your legs or your feet. Those things all need a whole lot of attention." Abby said. I looked over to Kenzie who looked pale and on the verge of tears.

Asia

Nia Paige Melody

Maddie Kendall Chloe Brooke Mackenzie

"Mackenzie, what's wrong?" Abby asked.

"I feel dizzy." Mackenzie responded. It was probably from her standing on her foot during the duration of pyramid. The doctor gave her a brace to wear from the extra bone.

"You feel dizzy? All right. Why don't you take a seat? Okay. You want to keep that foot up." Abby instructed. Mackenzie sat down and nodded.

"Mackenzie has to stay off of her foot. And you were her opposite. And now you don't have an opposite. So... what do I do with Asia?" Abby shrugged.

"So you're going to come into the group, and you're gonna learn it, but I don't know if you're in it or not. Melody, however, you will be in the group dance. We're doing a patriotic number. It's called 'Free The People.' We have the Conservatives and the Liberals. Now, this week, we're going to Philadelphia. We are attending Power House Dance Competition. After last weekend, I need to put my best foot forward. This whole 'fair' thing, with trying to spread it all around? No. Obviously, Asia, you get another solo. The name of your solo is 'Ready for War.' So, Maddie, you have another solo this week. The name of your song is 'I'm Trying.' Chloe? You will be doing a solo this week. The name of your routine is 'Am I Here To Stay?'" Abby announced.

"All right. Moms, you're dismissed. Girls, spread apart. Let's warm up." Abby said.

~

"I heard the ALDC got a new member on the junior elite team." Noah smirked as I walked into the Dancers Den.

"Yep, her name is Asia. She was on AUDC." I shrugged before sitting down.

"What's her specialty?" Hannah asked curiously.

"Mainly-" I started to say before I got cut off.

"Sassy jazz... What? I watched AUDC, y'know." Olivia huffed.