Boys Are Cuties, Girls Have Cooties

We walk into pyramid all of us afraid from the week prior. Abby walks in and nobody says anything with all the tension.

"I just want to look at what fourth place looks like... This weekend we will be traveling to Voorhees, New Jersey. We will be attending On Stage America. I don't wanna be fourth again. On the bottom, Mackenzie. You will not be performing in the group routine this weekend. Next, Maddie. At nationals you were amazing– just as good as Chloe, but Chloe won, and ever since then... Melody, you won, you were on par. But I want to see you above par, like up here." Abby emphasized.

Nobody

Chloe Kendall Nia

Paige Melody Maddie Mackenzie

"Nobody in a group that got fourth deserves that spot. Brooke, I don't even have you on the team." Abby stated.

"She's been here every week. What is the purpose of her coming every week if you're not gonna put her on the pyramid?" Kelly pointed out.

"Brooke, do you want to be here?" Abby asked. Brooke hesitated before nodding.

"See, that, to me, is not a response I'm looking for." Abby laughed.

"Kendall, you have a solo. Your solo is entitled 'Owe You Nothing'. Remember that. I owe you nothing. You are very lucky. Embrace this opportunity and make the most of it. Nia, you also have a solo. Your solo is entitled 'A Hundred Years from Now.' Is it going to take a hundred more years to straighten those legs and point those feet, or are you gonna do it now? And I have one more solo. Chloe, do you think you can do the dance that I teach you?" Chloe nodded in acceptance.

"Have you talked to your mom about stopping the advocacy for all the other mothers? Chloe, this is a contemporary routine as well. There's lots of hits and accents. It's stronger than you've been doing before, and it is called 'Left in the Dark'. This weekend, we are doing a group routine called 'Pink Lemonade'. Brooke, I planned for you to be in the group routine. You're using hats, and the hats are a prop. Drop your hat, and you're off the team." Abby said. All of the moms started gasping and laughing.

"Moms, you're dismissed. You're going to be rhinestoning. Ladies, spread apart. Start the warm-up– grand pile in second." Abby instructed. Mackenzie and I finished warming up before going to sit and watch the routines be made since we can't do anything.

~

*Day of Competition*

Kenzie and I have done absolutely nothing, all week. Today Abby and Jill had a little argument because Kendall didn't have her costume. Abby just came back from Cathy's dressing room.

"I knew something was up when we hadn't seen Cathy in weeks. And now I know what her game is: She has an all-boys team. That's her M.O., cause you guys all know that a judge, they go for the boys all the time cause they want to keep them dancing. You girls are a dime a dozen." Abby stated. Right now Kenzie and I were watching all the other girls rehearse their solos with Abby being even harsher.

Eventually, I left to go get a bag of chips. I saw the girls walk out of the dressing room and I left to go sit in the audience. I sit by Maddie and Paige.

"Next in our Junior Miss competition, please welcome to the stage, number 121, this is Nia dancing to 'One Hundred Years from Now'." Nia went out and performed her heart out.

"Up next in our Junior Miss On Stage America competition, please welcome number 127, Kendall, dancing to 'Owe You Nothing'." Kendall was very sassy and had good energy.

"Up next to our stage, please welcome number 115, this is Chloe dancing to 'Left in the Dark'." Chloe had a rough time today. She looked very tired and the choreography didn't match her style the best.

*Solo Awards*

"Now it's time for special awards. My third runner-up goes to... number 122, 'Flying Solo' Liana! My second runner-up goes to... number 127, 'Owe You Nothing'. First runner up for Junior Miss On Stage America goes to... number 129, 'I'm Gonna Love You Through It,' Skyler! And our winner for Junior Miss On Stage America, goes to– drumroll, please... number 131-A, 'True Colors'." The announcer said. In conclusion for solos, Chloe got 10th for junior solo; did not place for Junior Miss On Stage America. Kendall got 9th for junior solo; 3rd for Junior Miss On Stage America. Nia did not place in either. After awards we head back to the dressing room.

"Well, well, well. I didn't pick three soloist to come here to put you in the competition for you not to do well. The thing that takes the work, the sweat– when is the last time you went into a class and actually were dripping with sweat? When is the last time your feet were so blistery on the bottom that they were cracked open and bleeding? When was the last time that happened? That's a dancer. And you all know how I get when Cathy shows up. That was an embarrassment." Abby explained. The girls get ready for the group dance while Kenzie and I just played hot hands.

"Think about Cathy beating us. Think about your reputation as the national champions. Don't embarrass yourself. More importantly, do not embarrass me out there. Come on. Let's go." Abby instructed.

"Next up to the stage number 232-A dancing to 'Own It'." The CADC group dance was filled with crowd entertainment and break-dancing.

"Up next to the stage, please welcome number 215, 'Pink Lemonade'." The announcer said and the girls came out with their hats. The girls were doing a great job and this dance has been my favorite this year. Suddenly, Chloe's hat fell off during the routine. Either way the group routine was good, but I'm scared for Chloe if Abby's suspension thing was the truth. We all head back to the dressing room, the calm before the storm.

"Good job!" We say to the girls. Christi gives Chloe a little pep talk about what's gonna happen. Abby then proceeds to come in.

"Nice job, Chloe! Huh? Nice job." Abby said throwing her purse.

"You want Chloe gone? We're gone. You get your way. You can have whoever you-" Christi said packing up.

"Walks out, falls all over the place with her turns." Abby stated.

"No she didn't." Christi disagreed.

"And then drops her hat. Yes she did!" Abby argued.

"No, she didn't! You know what?" Christi asked.

"Yes, she did." Abby nodded.

"You go ahead and replace me. I'm leaving. I'm not gonna make a scene with you." Christi packed up her stuff.

"Oh, that's the easy way out, right?" Abby asked.

"No, I'm done. I'm done. This is not what I signed up for. Humiliation for my daughter-" Christi responded.

"I didn't humiliate her! She humiliated herself when she fell out of her turns!" Abby yelled.

"Yes, you did. Abby, shut up. Stop talking now. Replace us. That's fine. Come on, Chlo. We're done." Christi said finally walking out. There was a long silence before Abby said something again.

"I thought, besides somebody dropping their hat... it was not bad." Abby said. A few quiet minutes later we left for awards.

*Group Awards*

"The next category is junior advanced small group. Okay, here we go. Second runner up number 214, from Art of Gymnastics and Cheer. Separating my runner-up and my winner is one-tenth of a point. Number 232-A, 'Own It' from Candy Apples Dance Center. And the winner of the junior advanced small group goes to... number 215!" The announcer said and we all cheered. We beat the Candy Apples!

"Where do we dance, ladies?" The announcer asked.

"Abby Lee Dance Company!" The girls all cheered into the microphone. They finished awards and we go back to the dressing room to celebrate.

"Yay! I'm so glad we beat her!" Abby said holding the trophy while all the other girls hugged her.