All's Fair in Love and War

"Come on, girls, let's go. Come on, move it, move it, move it. Get in here." Abby said as we walked into pyramid.

"Well, congratulations. You won. Was it your best performance? Mm... no." Abby shook her head.

"Didn't we win by seven points?" Kelly asked.

"I'm not going to deny the fact that you won. That's great. But I don't think it was your best performance. The routine had mistakes. Chloe, why would you go out on stage and not do the correct choreography? Everybody else did the choreography that I gave them. That's beginning to be a pattern with you, isn't it, Chloe? You're lucky you're even back in this dance studio." Abby noted.

"First, Melody, you didn't dance. Next on the bottom... Paige. You were good. I'm waiting for you to be great. Did you really use your face and get into every single of those judges' hearts? No. You need to work on that. And next... Kendall. You didn't stick out to me. In your improv, it should have been, like, 'Ooh, wow, look at that that. Who's that?' I didn't do that. Next is Brooke. Brooke, you are fourteen years old. When are we going to see you stand out as the leader, as the foreman on the job? As the role model? Next... Nia. You're third on the pyramid. You were third overall high score. And... Mackenzie. Overall high score of the mini division. You did a great job. You went out there, and you won. And on top of the pyramid, once again, is Maddie. Maddie... not only did you win the high score solo in your age division, but you were also the highest-scoring solo in the entire competition. Now, Chloe, did you notice that you're not on the pyramid? You're not in it. You're lucky to be here as it is. You can't go out onstage and do what you want." Abby rambled. I take a deep breath in. She seriously can't stop being rude to Chloe can she?

Maddie

Mackenzie Nia

Brooke Kendall Paige Melody

"This weekend, we will be traveling to Bernardsville, New Jersey. So, you're going to get kids with amazing technique and killer costumes. They're going to be strong competitors. Everyone will be in the group dance, except Mackenzie and Melody. The music is entitled 'Your Dream Will Be My Dream.' And it's big, and it's grand, and it's a beautiful piece of music. I'm going to be using a boy in the group. Mackenzie, you're not in the group dance. That means your getting a solo. The name of your routine is 'Love is War.' Maddie, you're on a winning streak. I want to see if you can win again. Your solo is entitled 'Life Line.' I have one more routine to give out this week. Hopefully, we're going to have time to do a duet. And the duet will be Kendall and Nia. It's contemporary, but it's cool. And the name of it is 'Dig It.' All right, you guys are dismissed. Ladies, spread apart." Abby announced. We started stretching and warming up.

~

After watching the group rehearse, I went and had the trio private with Hannah and Olivia. We get to perform it this weekend and we are so excited.

"Girls, we only have a few more days before you are in New Jersey. Don't make me think giving you this trio is for nothing." Mrs. Taylor warned. We all nodded.

"Don't worry, Mrs. Taylor, we are more formidable than you think!" Olivia shook her head. Olivia slowly fell to the floor from her socks.

"I'm sure." Mrs. Taylor stifled a cough-laugh. We rehearsed, I finished the rest of my classes and went home.

~

*Day of Competition*

We got to the dance competition at Bernards High School. We got off the bus and walked inside. Olivia and Hannah rode with their parents to the competition.

"Hi. How are you? Good, good, good. It's good to see you again." Abby greeted a man. They talked for a minute or two before we walked to the dressing room. We all started getting dressed for our assignments.