x. you think so?--calvin and hobbes

finally on this request from SamanthaTorres690

thank you for your patience (it's been like literally a year lmao)

*note: y/n is female by request, but feel free to use your own pronouns!

You're new to Ohio, and being originally from somewhere else, the Midwest is fascinating. 

But you know what you also are? 

Adventurous. 

Since the day your parents introduced you to the literal boy next door Calvin, you and him were nigh inseparable, always out on some new adventure. You shared your love of imagining other worlds, times when dinosaurs still roamed the earth, and snowball fights. 

You two grew up together. You watched Calvin foster his talent for art, just as he watched you find out your passions. 

You're both in high school now, so naturally things have changed over the years. You lost a bit of your connection. Things just weren't as cut and dry as they used to be. There was less time on your hands to enjoy the extravagant imaginative childhood fun. Social hierarchies became important, so did academics, and suddenly the whole world was coming at you and there was no time to dream up elaborate scenarios of dinosaur safaris. One thing, however,  unbeknownst to you, had not changed: Calvin was hopelessly and desperately in love with you. He adored your spirit, wit, your lovely personality. He thought you were everything. No matter how distant you felt, he had held you so close to his heart for years.

...

The summer before junior year, you and your family traveled abroad all summer, taking the token Europe trip all the popular girls at school would brag about. 

Coming back to school was not a fun event, until you saw your closest friend. 

"Calvin!" you grinned at your best friend and enveloped him in a hug. "How was your summer?"

Calvin blushes at the sudden contact, but indulges happily in the hug. "It was alright, I guess. Pretty uneventful."

You release your friend and walk down the hall with him. It still amazes you how that short little boy became a head taller than you. Seven year old you would be disappointed that you didn't still have your height advantage on him. 

During your long walk to english class, you make some small talk, Calvin seeming a bit distracted. 

He was not, in fact. He couldn't stop thinking about how much he missed you. It was surreal to have you back around him again. Seeing your animated expressions as you told him the saga of your European adventure brightened his day. 

...

"I really love when the leaves change," you smile up at the trees from your park bench. Oh, October. You love the fall. 

Calvin chuckles as he continues to sketch in his journal. He loves drawing this character that looks strikingly like you, and he's only ever called them "the queen". The resemblance is no coincidence, as one could imagine. Even the passers by could tell that Calvin worships the ground you walk on. 

So either you're oblivious or he has been getting subtly friendzoned for years.

This immediate realization rattles Calvin, and to that you are not oblivious. 

"Hey, man, are you okay?" you ask your friend. 

"Hm?" Calvin raises a blonde eyebrow. "Oh, it's nothing. I-I just remembered something."

"You sure?"

"Yeah, don't worry about it."

...

Prom is right around the corner.

How could you forget? It was only the main topic of conversation every other second. You had yet to get a date, and being that it was the week before the event it was unlikely for any requests to come your way. It sucks, but there's still senior year, so all hope cannot be lost. 

"Oh, for god's sake, just ask. Her," Suzie implores Calvin at the lunch table. You're sitting with a few other friends at lunch, so Calvin took the opportunity to discuss his plan of asking you out with Suzie Derkins, long time friend professionale. 

"But what if she says no?" Calvin asks for the sixth time. 

"Listen, Calvin, I'm getting kind of tired of this sh*t. Everyone panics before they ask someone out. There is a universal fear of rejection right before asking someone out, but you're a great person, she's a great girl, and she's also clearly into you," Suzie huffs. It has been a repetitive lunch. 

"Oh?" Calvin's eyebrows perk up at the last five words. "You think so?"

"Mh-hm," Suzie sips her drink. "Go get 'em, tiger."

Later that day, Calvin asks you to meet in your special place in the woods on Friday night. It's a clearing that you and him discovered with Hobbes...wow, 10 years ago now. 

Something about the request makes your heart flutter.

Upon the coming of the evening, you wonder if you should put makeup on. Every time you raise a brush to your face, the thought creeps in that Calvin is going to ask you to either get the hell out of his life, to tell him how to ask someone else out, or take his prom pictures for him. 

You take a deep breath and close your makeup bag. "So close, yet so far."

...

Calvin is waiting for you on a rock at the clearing, his leg shaking and hands fidgeting with the chain necklace you gave him as a Christmas gift. 

"You rang," you smile to hide your fear.

"Hey," Calvin springs up from his seat. "I, uhhh, want to ask you something."

"Okay?" you tilt your head to the side. His pose...wow. In the sunset barely shining through the trees illuminating the boy from behind. His subtle jewelry sparkles as he runs a hand though his hair like he knows he's hot. The way he leans back a bit to show off his tall and lean body under his loose flannel and shirt. You blush studying his figure.

"I was just wondering if you'd...," Calvin avoids eye contact, then looks up at you. He notices your blush and gains a bit of confidence. His gaze meets yours, clinging onto is as your face heats up. "You'd want to go to prom with me?"

Your heart skips a beat. Before you can form a coherent thought, you smile and exclaim, "yes! Yes, please, oh my god!"

"Oh thank god," Calvin exhales in relief as you pace toward him and wrap your arms around him, placing a little kiss on his cheek. 

Calvin smiles, getting an idea. He gently puts two fingers under your chin and pulls you in for a kiss, which you happily indulge in. 

...

wow i finally wrote that in the middle of the night, thank you so so much samantha t for your patience! I hope it was worth the wait and i kinda want to make this into a series ngl