lviii. deskmate--joey jordison part 3

It's been an exhausting week for you, like it feels like a month of chaos has been crammed into a period of 4 days. 

You get to your math class early and immediately your head drops onto the table in front of you. Your eyes fall closed, nestled in your crossed arms. 

...

Something is poking into your side, bringing you back to consciousness. You lift your head to see Joey next to you and your math teacher lurking around. 

"Mmh, sorry," you force yourself to sit up. 

"You okay?" Joey whispers. 

"Yeah, just tired."

"I can tell," your companion smirks. "Wanna take the rest of the day off?"

"I don't think I'll be that much fun."

"We can go to my house and you can take a nap or something," Joey suggests.

"Sounds good."

"I'll keep you entertained for the next 40 minutes or so."

"40 minutes? How long was I out?" you ask.

"20."

"Oops."

"Yeah, I would have woke you up earlier but I wanted to see if you'd get yelled at," Joey jokes. You playfully slap his arm and start doing the actual assignment for the class. 

"Fuck you," you mutter.

"You know you'd do the same if it was me," Joey retorts.

"...That's actually a pretty fair point."

Joey, as promised, keeps you awake and entertained throughout the math class until the bell rings, when you split to grab some stuff from your respective lockers before meeting at the emergency exit where you both slip out of the building and stalk toward the parking lot.

"So what's got you so tired? Got a fuckbuddy now?" Joey asks curiously, the second bit if a bit passive aggressively.

"Oh hell no," you assure as you pull your coat tighter around yourself. "Just a lot of personal stuff. Family shit, y'know?"

"Is it your mom again?" Joey hums.

"I don't feel alright blaming her entirely since it's also her own mother fucking things up..."

"But it's not like she's helping, either."

"Right," you lower your gaze. "It's just been chaotic and I need to get away from it."

"No, I get it. It's literally the reason why I'm in a band," Joey jokes. "Shit, where are my keys?"

"Left jacket pocket," you answer.

"What?" 

Your companion reaches into his left pocket and sure enough, there's his keys. 

"How'd you know?" he whispers.

"I saw you put them in their non-designated pocket in the hall when you full force smacked Jim's ass on the way out," you smirk. 

"You're observant."

"It is pretty astounding the amount of times I've seen you and your bandmates either grope or smack each other's asses. Specifically Jim, for some reason."

"He's got a nice ass," Joey defends.

You just blankly look at Joey for a few paces. "I never want to hear you say that again."