xxv. anthropology--sid wilson (slipknot)

y/f/n--your friend's name

You study a sample collection of jewelry from an unknown era in your office. The carbon dating records show that it's from the Bronze Age, but it doesn't carry many characteristics of Bronze Age jewelry, other than the jewelry being made of, well, bronze. It's an interesting case and you have to figure it out, being a historian and anthropologist for a museum. 

Your phone buzzes on your desk, and it's your best friend. Hm, she doesn't really call you.

"What's up?" you smile, putting the phone on speaker as you continue flipping through the profile on the jewelry. 

"Y/n! I found a man for you!"

You stop. "Alright, who is it?" 

Your best friend has been trying to get you with a man for a good amount of time now...might as well try out man #4. 

"His name is Sid and he likes Transformers," your friend's smile is audible. Your gaze immediately falls to the die cast Starscream in front of you.

"Cool, but is there anything else about him that I can work with? Why do you think he's for me?" you inquire with a chuckle.

"You decorate your office with die cast Transformers that you literally bought at a nerd store. Plus he's in a metal band, just give him a shot."

"I'm down," you shrug. "What's his number?"

"Oh, no need! I set up a blind date already."

"Huh?"

"Yeah, you're gonna meet a Sid Wilson at that little cafe you like at 8 tonight."

You pause. "Alright, then. I'll tell you how it goes."

...

You study yourself in the mirror. Your friend told you it was going to be a casual date, so you opt for a Beatles band shirt and style it with some jeans, a wallet chain, and a pair of boots. 

Small shards of self doubt drill themselves into your mind as you keep getting ready and get in your car. Your insecurity and paranoia drive from the backseat as you pull into the lot behind the cafe and walk in, pulling the door open with a shaky hand. 

Blind dates are not your proficiency.

The place is pretty calm, with only a few people scattered about on tables with mismatched chairs and couches from many different eras. It adds to the charm of the place. 

You scan the dining room for Sid until you see someone matching his description seated at a window. He's idly looking around the cafe as he fidgets with his hands. It's kind of comforting to know you're not the only nervous one. 

"Sid?" you ask. The man of interest's head rises to look over at you with a smile while you make your way to the table. 

"Are you Y/n?"

"That's me," you nod, shaking Sid's hand. "It's good to meet you."

"It's good to meet you too, I've heard a lot about you," Sid smiles. 

Considering Y/f/n is Sid's source of information about you, that's concerning. 

"All I heard about you was that you're in a band and you like Transformers," you reply. 

"Both are accurate," Sid shrugs. "I heard you work at a museum, what exactly do you do, tour guides?"

"Not anymore, thank god. There's so much more to do with a degree in anthropology," you laugh lightly. "I do research on artifacts and mostly work with deciphering old languages."

"Wait, really? That's actually cool," Sid leans forward to listen. 

"My specialty is Bronze to Gold age language and code development, which also ties into the evolution of agriculture, trade, early currencies, and stuff like that. My dissertation was on assassin's codes."

"You have a PhD?"

You bite your tongue as you notice a note of confusion and judgment in the man's voice. "Uh, yeah. I got it kind of late, I only finished it last year, but I have a doctorate at the ripe age of 39."

"Damn, I'm just a DJ," Sid says. You're not sure if he's joking or not, to be honest, since you've said the exact same thing about your own job when speaking to people far smarter than you. 

"Y'know, the role of musicians has remained consistently vital to the function of a healthy society," you hum. "I find it most admirable work."

"Really? You're not gonna tell me to get a real job?"

"I think you do more important work than most people. Besides, don't we both do unnecessary stuff all day? We just dick around in different places."

"I guess, but can't you be, like, a professor or something?" Sid raises an eyebrow. "Hey, where's the waiter?"

a/n: good question sid. 

"Someone will turn up sometime," you shrug. "And technically, yes, but so could you with the experience you've got. My job description was a paragraph that could be whittled down to 'carbon dating and googling'."

"How are we tonight?" a waiter saunters over to the table. 

You and Sid exchange a glance, both equally surprised about this spontaneous human. 

"Uh, good," you both answer.

"Can I get you anything to drink?"

Both of you order a water and some alcoholic beverage, each sure that the other is tired of them already and just wants to get home but is too polite to just leave. 

It's taking you a remarkable amount of time to clear the blind date awkwardness from this date, but eventually it's 9:30 and you find yourself decently at ease with Sid. He's a nice dude, really interesting and down-to-earth. You're able to bond with him over many common interests, of which you count 8. That's 5 more than the averages of the past 3 blind dates you've been set up on. 

The only issue with people like him is that because of your inexperience with extroverts (especially in your line of work), you can't tell if he likes you. Like at all. 

Extroverts are somehow capable of being nice to everyone, but you happen to be a bit quieter. People have told you that you always seem like you hate everyone, even people you really like. Is that happening with Sid right now? 

... 

As soon as Sid touches the handle of his car door, he regrets not spending more time with you. 

Yes, it is weird to extend a blind date, especially when it is already 10:00, but Sid was hung up on every word you said. He couldn't stop listening to your voice or watching your eyes and noticing every subtlety in your movements. 

He was worried he made you nervous or something. You looked a bit uneasy for the first half of the date, but he supposes that comes with the territory of sitting in a near empty cafe with a strange man. 

About 15 minutes into his drive home, his phone buzzes with a text:

Hey, Sid--

Really nice to meet you tonight, I had a good time! Sorry if I seemed a bit on edge, I was just nervous...first dates do that to me I guess. Hope you had a good time too, and if you didn't, at least there's still time for the night to improve :)

Sid stops at a red light, grabs his phone, and types a response:

I also had a great time, and I was a bit nervous too

He doesn't want to seem too desperate.

He pauses. 

And I was also wondering if you'd like to go out again sometime?

There we go. 

...

lil sid one shot :)