xxix. jam session--mick thomson and jim root (slipknot)

a/n: another dad one, where mick is your dad, but you're also super close with jim 

(...please excuse the self indulgence)

your pov

I'm nervous as hell for today, I have to say. 

Three months ago, I asked Jim to teach me a bit of guitar since it was my then hyperfixation. I didn't tell my dad because I didn't want him to get his hopes up on me being a musician or anything. This guitar thing is just for fun. 

Besides, it's nice to get to spend time with Jim. He's really sweet and more laid back than my very disciplined and routine oriented parents. In short, Stacy and Mick do not mess around, however, Jim blares Tokyo Drift while messing around and making sure to involve me in it. 

Anyway, I was playing guitar with him in the studio last week when Joey and Corey walked in on us. They promised not to tell my dad about using another man as a guitar teacher as long as we could have, in their words, a "dope ass jam session and also teaching Corey and Jim how to put eyeliner on". 

Sid walked into the break room upon hearing this and promptly invited himself. 

So now I'm cleaning the house up a bit after having shooed my parents out for the day, waiting for the aforementioned guests to arrive. 

Jim arrives first, greeting me with one of his bear hugs. 

"I'm so excited, I'm not even gonna lie," Jim smiles at me. It's honestly contagious. 

"I'm glad you're excited, I'm a bit nervous," I reply, walking to the kitchen to grab myself a drink. 

"Why's that?"

"I dunno, I'm new, I kinda suck at it. Doing something I'm new at in front of professionals is intimidating, y'know?"

"In the most respectful way possible, all of us coming today think you can do no wrong, and it's the delight of every experienced artist to see another one grow. We're all here to support you and hope your dad doesn't come home to beat my ass."

"I did my best to get both my parents out of the house all evening, but there is a nonzero chance of them coming back, so we'll work with the time we've got," I shrug. 

About 15 minutes later, everyone's gathered in my living room with a guitar. Joey brought his Gibson SG, I have Jim's Strat, Jim has his white Tele, Corey has an acoustic with him, and Sid is using a long abandoned Fender acoustic from the back of my dad's storage. 

"So, Y/n," Corey smiles at me. "What have you been learning, like what are you up to?"

"Uh, couple Beatles songs, a few Korn songs, like two or three Green Day songs, most of the usual 'I can play guitar' riffs, and a few post punk songs," I answer. "My favorite song to play is this one called 'plastinki' by Durnoy Vkus. It's a Russian band and I am utterly in love with this song."

"You've taught them well," Corey compliments Jim. 

"Thank you, I do my best," Jim smiles. 

"Can we hear the Russian song?" Joey asks. 

I nervously bite my lip and give Jim a look. He replies with an encouraging smile. 

"Eh, fuck it," I shrug and start the intro, preparing the lyrics in my head as I focus on my movements on the fretboard. My anxiety spikes as I sing the first line in a room full of silent men, but my anxiety eases as the Russian comes easily to me, allowing more brain room to be dedicated to playing the right notes.