xix. consult--cirrus (ghost b.c.)

You shake your head and force yourself to refocus on the task Secondo gave you. There's just an hour left in the work day, you'll make it through without thinking about Cirrus again...

Satan, Cirrus. 

"Maybe you should ask her out?" Secondo suggests from across the desk. 

"Did I ask?" you snap. You take a breath. "Sorry, that came out wrong."

Secondo lets out an amused chuckle. "Listen, I'm not really one with...rizz? Is that what it's called now?"

"Mh-hm," you purse your lips to avoid laughing. 

"I know you're going to punch me in the face for saying this, but Terzo could be of some help here," Secondo quietly suggests. 

You glare at the papa. 

"No."

"I know you hate him, but can't you let bygones be bygones if you get a girlfriend out of it?"

"Who's to say I will get a girlfriend out of it, Secondo?" 

"Because the last time he screwed you over, you got me out of it and I'm quite a catch," Secondo jokes. 

"You're good to work for but I don't need a dent in my pride as much as I need a girlfriend," you scoff and lean back in your chair. 

"Y/n, I love you like you're my own spawn, and I love how strong-willed you are, but you've been into Cirrus for what, two months now? Surely you won't wait until someone else snatches her up, right?"

You bite the inside of your lip and look away from the Papa as your tail swats in discomfort, not willing to show him how much the idea of Cirrus being with someone else hurts you. 

"Fine," you exhale and push yourself off the chair and walk out of the room. 

"Wait--" Secondo contests. 

"I'll work overtime tomorrow," you look over your shoulder before closing Secondo's office door. 

Out in the empty hallway, you scan the office doors to find the specific brass plaque on the door you resent. Even as you come close to it, memories of Terzo refusing you jobs and promotions flood through your head. He consistently decided against you getting to work on tour with the band ghouls and ghoulettes, preventing you from getting to know Cirrus better. 

You take a deep breath and unclench the fists you didn't know had formed at your sides, and knock on the mahogany door. 

"Come in," an Italian accent chimes from inside the office.

You push the door open and take a hesitant step into Papa Emeritus III's office. It reeks of his favorite incense, which you hate to admit is a heavenly scent. Everything about the office is nice, and you hate it. It represents everything you weren't able to receive despite years of devotion to the Ministry. 

"Ah, Y/n. What brings you here?" Terzo asks as you approach his desk, trying to lighten your glare. 

"I need help," you say flatly. 

"Never thought I'd see the day," the Papa grins and leans back in his chair. "How did I get the pleasure of helping you?"

"Because Secondo is useless and I'm already in debt to Dewdrop," you cross your arms. The second one is a lie, but you want to seem more desperate. 

"Aren't we all?"

"Useless or in debt to Dewdrop?" you raise an eyebrow, the spade of your tail flicking the floor. 

"How about both?" Emeritus III shrugs. "What can I do for you?"

You pause, realizing how vulnerable you're going to have to be with this man.