lvii. parents--jim root

a/n: i did a bit of googling and i couldn't find jim's dad's name, but he gives off Dan vibes, so that's the name I'm using. AFAIK Kathy is his mom's actual name

the fact that i googled this information makes me feel like such a creepy fan yall 💀💀💀

"I'm so excited to meet Y/n," Jim's mom smiles. 

I'm glad you're excited, Jim thinks as he helps his mom set the table. 

"Yeah."

A few moments pass as Jim's dad opens the front door to the house with a bottle of wine and some snacks in a grocery bag. 

"Hey, dad," Jim greets and grabs the bag to carry it to the kitchen. "Hey, listen guys, can you just try not to embarrass me tonight?"

"Do we do that?" Jim's mom asks, a note of offense in her tone. 

"You did the last time I had someone over, and that was two relationships ago."

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"No, don't worry about it, just please don't do it again. I really like this person and I don't want to either be made uncomfortable or make them uncomfortable," Jim says. 

About a half hour later, there's an easy listening record on, a few candles lit around the dining room, kitchen, and front room, and the dogs are patrolling to make sure everything is perfect. 

Then come the dreaded few raps against the door. 

Jim rushes to the door to greet you with a hug and a little kiss as the 2 rottweilers vibrate with excitement around your legs. 

"I brought goodies," you smile, holding up a tote bag. Jim takes it from you and lets you into his house, where his parents are only a few feet away and ready to meet you. 

"Hey, I'm Y/n," you introduce yourself, swallowing your anxiety as you hold out your hand. 

"Oh my god," Jim's mom gapes as she scans you. 

"Something wrong?" your expression changes. 

"No, no no," the woman shakes her head. "You're just...wow. You're quite the knockout. I'm Kathy."

She finally takes your hand, placing both her hands around yours. You send a quick glance over to Jim, who responds with a grimace. 

His father Dan introduces himself after Kathy. He seems pretty plain, if a bit nervous to see you. You present the bottle of wine you brought to Dan and he accepts it with a smile and a note of confusion. 

"It's at my parents' behest," you reassure. 

You sense a lot of anxiety in the room as the dinner begins. It's difficult to get a conversation going. It seems like no one knows what the hell is going on. Like, you're all just kind of sitting there, eating (surprisingly pretty good) food, and making some small talk until Kathy gets inebriated enough to get talkative. 

"I'm so proud of Jim for getting someone like you," Kathy grabs your hand, her eyes welling with tears. 

You swallow and hesitate for a moment. "Thank you?"

"You've done so much for him."

Ma'am...? 

"I'd prefer for the man himself to tell me that," you reply, sensing Jim tense beside you.

"I always wondered what it'd be like to have a daughter," she continues.

"Kathy, c'mon," Dan admonishes. 

You reach for your boyfriend's hand under the table. You're not sure if the gesture is for your comfort or his, but either way it helps to feel his warm, calloused fingers wrap around your hand. 

"We're really happy about you," Kathy adds. 

"We actually are," Dan adds. "You seem pretty kickass from what we've heard."

"Oh, thanks," you lightly tug your hand away from Kathy. 

Dan makes some conversation with you as Jim kind of talks to his mom. He's quite a good dude, clearly loves his son...and has difficulties with his wife.

Difficulties which become more apparent as time drags on. 

"Hey, you don't need anymore to drink," Dan gently grabs Kathy's hand as she reaches for the bottle of wine again. You regret bringing that bottle of wine now. 

"Oh, shut it. I'll be fine," Kathy refills her glass. 

You're not sure what to say or do to alleviate some of the awkwardness, and decidedly no one else is either. Dan takes a breath, gives Jim a look, and nods toward the door. Jim nods in reply. 

"It was good to meet you, Y/n. I promise we're not always this batshit," Dan stands up from his spot. "I'll see you around."

...

"I'm sorry about that," Jim runs a hand through his hair as he stands up and stacks plates over his. 

"It's alright," you assure. "My parents are batshit too, so it's no worry."

"You sure?" Jim places the plates in the sink before grabbing your tote bag of various snacks from before and leading you down the hall to his room. 

"I'm sure," you promise, laying on his bed. "Come here, let's watch a movie."

Your boyfriend hesitates for a moment before he climbs into bed and cuddles up next to you. You grab his remote between you two and start flipping through channels. Jim adjusts his position so his head is laying on your collarbone and he's got a leg wrapped around yours.

"Y'know, there is nothing your parents could do to make me feel any differently towards you. You're your own individual, not always bound to your parents. You're not responsible for what they do or how they act, and I appreciate that you let me meet them," you hum, running your fingers through Jim's hair. 

Jim blushes and smiles to himself, not saying anything as he snuggles into you and holds you closer. You press a little kiss into his forehead as you wrap your arms around him. 

There is nowhere he'd rather be. Nowhere is he safer or cozier or happier than in his bed with you. 

"I love you so much," Jim mutters into the crook of your neck. 

"I love you too," you reply, starting to massage your boyfriend's back. 

...

y a l l  holy shit why did it take this long for me to get one single idea 

im so sorry uploads have been inconsistent. i've been having a bit of a rough go of it lately, so please be patient with uploads

i love you, thank you so so much for reading <<<33333