xliii. daughter--joey jordison (slipknot)

a/n: another dad one eek! i really hope you guys like these bc i love writing them and this one has been in my notes app for like three months

another little note--i use fem pronouns for the reader and different povs than usual

Joey's pov

When my kid is away on vacation with her mom, I get just a little bit sad. The house is too quiet and it feels so much more uncertain than knowing she'll be back later in the week.

I don't get scoffed at for being bad at cooking and listening to music isn't as fun.

I have to control my overjoy at seeing my daughter again before driving her and her mom to their house from the airport.

It does suck to see Y/n and her mom leave though. She gives me a mild wave as she walks in the house while I shift out of park and start to pull out. 

"Wait! Dad!" my daughter shouts from the porch as she hauls ass toward my car.

I brake immediately as she approaches my window.

"Can I stay with you tonight? I've had enough of mom," she chuckles.

"Yes, of course! Please," I smile.

"Great, give me a sec to get my stuff."

I nod and roll up my window so that no one hears my excited noises as I text the band that I will be occupied for at least the next two days. 

Y/n comes out of the house a few minutes later and throws her stuff into the backseat as she gets in the front. Without hesitation this time, I pull out onto the street. 

She connects her phone to my car and starts playing some chilled out post punk music. 

"I missed you. How was your trip?" I inquire. 

"It was a lot. I missed you too," my daughter yawns. 

"Are you hungry? Do you need anything?"

"No, I'm alright," Y/n replies. 

I gain some energy from just being around my favorite person while we talk about our lives recently. 

God, I've missed my kid, man. I texted her a couple times in the studio and then I'd dramatically throw my phone down and announce that I miss her to anyone in my vicinity. 

Once we get to my house, I carry Y/n's stuff in as she flops down on the couch, turning the TV on to play a bad horror movie we both like. I basically raised her on Children of the Corn, so the movies have always been a bonding point between us. 

I sit down next to my daughter as the movie starts, memories of me and her throughout her life sitting on this very couch. We used to do everything here. We would spend entire days listening to music, writing, playing guitar together, anything. Those days have faded out since she's grown up and started working and having her own life. 

"I miss when you used to cuddle with me when you were little," I mutter in a moment of vulnerability. 

Y/n looks away, "Me too, admittedly."

She leans into me as I tightly hug her, letting her put all her weight on me as she relaxes. 

Eventually, she falls asleep against me. That's not happened in a while. 

"Oh, you're too big for me to carry you to bed now," I mumble, looking down at Y/n. "You're still my baby, even if I can't carry you."

Oh shit, my baby. That just came out. I grab a throw blanket next to me and place it over my daughter's lap.

For good measure, I give her a goodnight kiss on her head.

And tell her to have sweet dreams. And hum a little song for her.

And another goodnight kiss. Just to keep the bad dreams away, y'know?

This is my favorite person. Like, on the planet.

If any nightmare thinks of getting to her I will personally destroy it.

...

this healed my inner child to write for some reason