xvi. new--dewdrop (ghost b.c) part ii

It's been a week since you employed a certain fire ghoul to help you with work and since then, he's been more awkward around you. He's so cautious of being alone with you despite the multiple (realistically, like 3) attempts you've made to hang out with him one on one. Dew just has a wonderful energy that you've been missing recently. You've been trying harder at the new language and you're getting a better grasp on it now. Copia told you you are. So did the ghoulettes, Mountain, and Rain. They've been helpful. Dewdrop's not been around too much because he thinks you just don't like him, so seeing you getting close with all of his friends is gutting to him...and adorable. The ambivalence is a lot to deal with.

...

You're taking a walk in the gardens on a foggy morning when you see a figure a few yards away. Upon coming a few steps closer, you see a familiar ghoul.

"Dewdrop!" you smile as you make your way over to your friend on a bench. He glances plainly up at you with his orange eyes barely glowing. 

"Are you not cold?" you ask. "I thought fire ghouls hated winter."

The spade of his tail shivers as it flicks about next to him, revealing the answer to you. 

"Is something wrong?"

"Hm, no," Dewdrop shakes his head. He shifts over a bit to let you sit down next to him. "Rain told me to come out and appreciate the fog."

"Aw," you smile. "I love Rain."

"Me too," Dewdrop replies weakly. That hurt. He supposes Rain does deserve someone like you.

You bite the inside of your lip, unsure if it's appropriate to ask your friend if you've done something to him to make him pull away from you. 

Screw it.

"Dewdrop, do you hate me?" you inquire, looking over at the ghoul.

"What?" Dew's eyes fade to scarlet for a split second as he meets your gaze.

"Well, you've not been around very much, and, uh, I was wondering if I did something," you raise a hand to your neck in a self soothing gesture.

The fire ghoul watches you as you avert your eyes and lower your arm. Your earth ghoulette energy is changing, just like how Mountain's does.

Oh. It hurt you to avoid you. 

"Hey, no, you didn't do anything," Dewdrop promises, instinctively reaching out and resting his hand on your arm. "It's all me, I swear."

You glance down at the sudden physical contact. Are you allowed to smile? This seems quite sweet of Dewdrop to do. 

"I'm sorry, I really am," the ghoul says, giving your arm a little squeeze. 

"You're forgiven," you place your free hand on Dewdrop's. Something happens when your hand touches his, and you can't quite explain it. Your energy seems to shift and interact with your companion's. The shift in energy gives you a glimpse into his mind, and you raise your head to look at him with a smile. 

Dewdrop's body warms a bit in confusion. 

"Would you want to have dinner with me?" you offer with a sudden burst of confidence. 

"Hm?" Dew warms again, his tail swishing about. "Yes, of course. What time?"

"8?"

"Yes ma'am."

"It's a date," you hum as you lean forward and peck the fire ghoul's cheek before you stand up and stalk away. 

At exactly 8 that night, there's a knock at your door and who else but Dewdrop is standing there in his black suit with a beautiful red tie and a single rose. The spade of your tail flicks nervously as you take the flower and follow him down the hall. 

...

this was so much fun to write, y'all want a part 3?