xlvi. guitarist-for-hire--paul gray (slipknot)

a/n: thank you so so so much to @pigliarjester 

your requests are awesome <3

ALSO i made a kidnapped by slipknot book! check my profile :)

You step out of your care and begin to stalk into the recording studio for the first time. 

You're an indie artist trying to make this rock/grungy musician thing work in the fucking Midwest, which basically means that your window for recording is whenever you can after work. You've played shows in small venues before, and it turns out that the alternative scene in Iowa enjoys what you do. 

Now must be as good a time as ever to record your first album. 

You meet your producer and spend the next four hours getting acquainted with all the computers, instruments, and devices in the studio. 

A week goes by and you've gotten more confident with working in the studio. Your producer is a really laid back and sweet man who's been a big part of the indie punk scene in Iowa for about 20 years, and he's a great support. He also introduced you to the band recording next door. They're a 9-person metal band called Slipknot, and you're pretty sure you've heard of them before, or maybe even seen them with their old vocalist and guitarist live. 

Regardless, you now know them personally and somehow get free tickets to their concerts.

...

Slipknot has known you for about two months now, and they are very fond of you. They always greet you when you get to the studio after work, even adjusting the recording schedule so they can finish the day's recording at about the same time you're taking a break and catch you again. 

In the beginning stages of getting to know you, most of your interactions with the band would start with them complimenting your band shirts. This led to them respecting you as a good music connoisseur. 

Paul, the bassist, especially respects you. So much so that he occasionally flirts with you, waves to you when you arrive at the studio, shreds the hell out of his bass when you walk by, and has done all but--

"Ask them out, man," Joey chuckles, coming out with Corey for a smoke break after Paul's badass bass playing didn't get your attention. 

"But what if they say no?" Paul mutters. 

"I can guarantee you they won't," Corey confidently reassures. 

Paul isn't hearing any of it. 

The next week consists of you coming over to the Slipknot studio a lot more, constantly trotting up to your spot where you lean against the fencing on the porch adjacent to the swing where Paul always has a cigarette. 

"You're back," Paul smiles as you come up to the porch for the third time this evening. Jim nods in a greeting on the other end of the porch as you wave at him. 

"Yeah, I've been procrastinating on recording this one song," you shrug. "Do you know anyone who can do like good thrash type guitar riffs?"

Paul's first impulse is to glance over at Jim, who points his cigarette back at the bassist. 

"I mean, I can," Paul suggests. 

"Really? Get your ass over here then!" you nod toward your studio. 

Paul crushes his cigarette before following you back to your studio, almost prancing behind you. Once you get there, you explain the mechanics of the song and give him references to how you want it to sound. You also introduce him to your friend/drummer, then practice for a bit. 

Okay, now to actually record. 

Paul watches very carefully as you start the intro with him, and then you start singing. Oh shit, it's beautiful. Your voice, something he's fawned over for months now, gives him butterflies. God, you're just divine. 

Focus, damnit, Paul reprimands himself. 

Oh, but then you give him a smile. He feels the hot blush rise to his face as he looks right back down at the guitar. He continues to strum as you instructed him to until he gets to the ending notes, where he leaves off with the one nice bit of fingerpicking Mick taught him. That'll impress you. 

The drummer hauls ass out of the studio as soon as she can (she's got a date, ironically), but Paul decides to stay. Maybe it is indeed time to shoot his shot. So he gets up and takes a few steps toward you.

You turn the mic off, adjust it, and put your bass down before getting up and enveloping Paul in a hug. Paul blushes a bit, hugging you back. His face flushes even more as you look up at him and seem to ponder something for a second before muttering "fuck it" and kissing him. 

Paul immediately melts into the kiss, resting his hand on your cheek and letting it linger there as you pull away. He can feel the warmth of the blush on his cheeks. 

"Been wanting to do that for a while," you smile up at him. 

"I have too," Paul looks away. 

Seeing Paul so shy is the sweetest thing you've ever seen and you cannot help pressing a little kiss to his cheek. Still very flustered, Paul pulls you back into him and sways back and forth as he holds you. 

...

thanks again for the request, keep em coming for both this book and the kidnapped by slipknot one! 

thank you so much for reading <3