lx. fear of the dark--optimus prime (transformers)

a/n: back at it with my transformers phase >:)

This is set in age of extinction era

You're talking with Cade, Tessa, and her boyfriend around a fire while your bass rests in your lap. Every once in a while, you play a little riff on the instrument. It feels good to have a moment of calm. Those are rare since you fell ass backwards into working with the Autobots and Cade, the most annoying and arrogant asshole put on this planet. 

...

It's been a few hours, and the fire has long since been put out. Bumblebee found a little abandoned gas station for the humans to stay the night in, which was a nice gesture. 

Unfortunately, you can't sleep. It's been a bad few days for your mental health. Your self esteem has been lower than usual and anxiety has been...bad. The thoughts keep swirling in your head, overwhelming you and gripping your entire being. 

You push the blanket off you and stand up as quietly as you can on the creaky floor before snagging your bass off the counter and stepping outside to take a seat against a gas pump 30 or so feet from the main building. 

Your phone rests next to you, and with one earbud in, you start your playlist of songs you know and let yourself have fun noodling about on your bass. 

...

Optimus and the other Autobots are about 100 feet away, hiding out in a little thicket behind the gas station. They spent the first bit of the night trying to make a plan to deal with the Decepticons, but it proved to be a bit of a lost cause because their leader seemed to be preoccupied. 

It's true, Optimus's head is somewhere else. He's worried about you. There's been a change in your demeanor over the past few days. You don't flash your smirk, piss off Cade, or even do your makeup like you did before. He must admit that he misses it. Though Optimus is in debt to Cade, he feels a greater friendship with you, and it hurts that his friend is going through a hard time.

For a split second, when all the Autobots were quiet, Prime could hear something in the distance that sounded like the instrument you always carry with you. He abandons the thicket and emerges into the cool moonlight. A light breeze comes through, the rustling of leaves making it hard to hear your music. So, Optimus takes a few steps closer to your silhouette he can see through the station's windows. 

As he comes closer to you, you look up at him, your head filled with questions. Optimus never disturbs humans at night unless there's a threat. 

You tense and stand up, immediately asking if something's wrong.

"No, no," Prime replies. "We are safe. I am concerned for you in another way."

You raise an eyebrow and pause your music. "What do you mean?"

"I am concerned that you are not optimal emotionally. Your symptoms resemble that of a disorder called depression," the Autobot kneels on one knee before you. 

"Probably because I have it," you answer without thinking. 

"You do?" Optimus's voice lowers.

You take a breath and pick at your lip, wondering how to proceed. "Sit down, Optimus."

The Autobot does as you ask.

"I've had my diagnosis for years. I take medications for it, I've been to therapy, I've seen almost every kind of treatment available. And even though I am capable of coping with my depression, sometimes it's still too much and it all culminates in a depressive episode," you explain. 

"Is that what you are experiencing?"

"It is," you nod. "And sometimes, the only thing that helps is listening to some classic metal and playing bass."

"That is really all that helps?"

"I suppose it's a bit of an exaggeration," you chuckle at the Autobot. "But it's a good way to cope."

"So this is called a bass, right?"

"Mh-hm," you nod. "It's the bottom four strings on a guitar tuned an octave lower."

"Ah. What are you playing now?"

"My favorite riff, actually," you smile. "It's 'Fear of the Dark' by Iron Maiden."

"That is an ironic song," Prime notes. 

"Kind of," you nod. "It was the song that made me want to play bass, like 6 years ago."

"Can I hear it?" the Cybertronian leans closer. 

You chuckle lightly. "I suppose. Here, let me disconnect my earbuds..." You place your earbuds back in their charging case before starting the song again and positioning your hand over the fretboard.

"The bass doesn't come in for a little bit," you explain, sensing Prime's anticipation to hear you play. "I always wished I could sing like Bruce Dickinson in this acoustic part here."

Then, the riff starts. You throw your pick down over the strings like it was the first time you played this song in your room. Just to give Optimus a little show, you get up and dance a bit to the music until the vocals kick in. 

"Have you run your fingers down the wall," you sing with Bruce and trail your fretboard hand down Optimus's arm. "And have you felt your neck skin crawl, when you're searching for the light!"

Optimus's eyebrow ridges rise as he watches you perform this new song for him. He's amazed that your introverted self could be so performative. 

You work your bass with confidence, letting it move with your body as you dance and strut about. 

"Does your head not hurt when you do that?" Prime hums as you headbang. 

"Not really," you shrug, walking closer to the Cybertronian for the guitar solo. 

"Are you sure?"

"I've been a metalhead for years. You get used to it."

"Ah," Optimus hums. 

"Watching horror films the night before, depicting witches and folklore, the unknown troubles on your mind!" you sing along when the next verse comes in, slowly striding over to Optimus's right. "Maybe, your mind is playing tricks, you sense--and suddenly eyes fix--" You sneak fully behind the robot. "On dancing shadows from behind!"

When the song finishes, you relax for the first time in 7 minutes, and the bass falls against your waist. 

"You're quite remarkable, Y/n," Optimus says. 

You swallow, unsure of how to respond. "Thank you?"

"It's not a bad thing. You're such an interesting person."

You quirk an eyebrow. 

"I'm sorry you're having a tough time with your mental health, but I'm proud of you for having the discipline to learn an instrument and use it to cope."

"I think that just cured my episode," you chuckle and shake your head. "I appreciate it."

"Would you mind playing me a little bit more?" Optimus inquires. 

"Sure."

...

hey hey, back in my transformers era!

thank you so much for reading and your continued support for this book <3