lxv. doing their hair--dave mustaine

a/n: HEY! What's up, guys? I started this back in mid december when exam season was actually going on, so maybe this isn't really seasonally appropriate anymore (very ironically I got tied up in getting ready for exams and the holidays that i only had the energy to update my other slipknot book)

this one is inspired by that one thing electra mustaine posted like a year ago when she showed her dad doing her hair for her and it made us all feel jealous 

Your dad has done your hair since forever. He learned to do braids when you were 6 or 7 and wanted to get your hair braided like the pretty girls you saw on TV. Your dad got on it quick and pretty soon you were showing up to school with beautiful braids. 

Now, it's been a while since your dad has done your hair. The last time he braided it was sometime in middle school. It got more difficult for him to be around anyway because he was touring and you got a bit more busy. 

Exam times are pretty stressful. It's all you can do not to give up and throw it in the fuck it bucket. 

You walk downstairs to the kitchen and discover your dad sipping a mug of coffee. 

"Doin' alright, Y/n? I haven't seen you all day," your dad puts his mug down and walks over to you. 

"I'm fine enough. Just a bit stressed," you shrug. 

"You sure you're alright?" 

"It's nothing you need to worry about," you dodge the question. In all honesty, it makes you uncomfortable to admit how much these exams are messing with you--especially to your dad. Overprotective dad things, y'know? You don't want him to get all worked up. 

"Is it exams?"

Your eyebrows raise in slight surprise. 

"Come on, I'm not entirely a dumbass. And I can tell you've been off lately. You need a break," your dad pulls you in for a hug. 

You hesitate for a moment before you relax and hug your dad back. He gently rubs your back, holding the back of your head with his other hand. 

"Here, let's do something. Sit down." You're led into the living room and prompted to sit on the floor in front of the couch. Your inner child leaps with excitement, remembering the anticipation of what your dad would do with your hair. 

Your dad comes back to the living room with a hair brush and a few hair ties, prancing over toward you and sitting behind you on the couch. He turns on a show you both love, then gets to work braiding your hair. 

"I miss this, kiddo," he hums. 

You look down for a moment until you reply, barely over a whisper, "I do too."

Over the next hour or so, your dad keeps working on your hair as you talk about general goings on in your lives. He tells you about a new album he's working on. He makes sure not to bring up school or exams, just keeping the conversation light. Your dad has never been adept at supporting you through a hard time, but he tries his best with what he knows helps you feel better. 

"I'm almost done," your dad tells you. "Just have to pull a few hairs in the front out."

You nod as your dad threads his finger on each side of your head and tugs out equally sized hair strands. 

"Alright, do you like it?" he asks expectantly. 

You pull your phone out to take a selfie to see your hair is tied into 2 intricate dutch braids, each braided with one smaller inception braid. 

"It looks awesome, dad," you look up at him. "Thank you."

"Of course!" he beams, pulling you up onto the couch next to him.

a/n:  im a tool fan now 💀💀 im gonna see em on the 23rd

also i'm so sorry for not uploading for a little bit. ideas are drying up :/