Part 5 (Babysit)

The next morning everyone joined in a common room for breakfast.

"How you feeling?" Tony asked me, sliding me a cup of coffee.

"Fine." I grumbled in response, taking a drink. "Thanks." The stinging in my arm was painful enough to be annoying, but it surely wasn't agonizing.

"We have a mission planned for the next 2 days, mostly control for the Sokovia mission. Even though I'm not a fan of the idea, Numnuts has requested I have you stay here to watch Reindeer Games."

I furrowed my eyebrows, "Who and what?"

"I believe I am 'Numb... Nuts.'" Thor frowned at Tony, before looking back at me. "Tony announced he was bringing you a bench to sit upon today, so I requested he allow Loki to stay here with you."

"Put, Thor." Tony sighed. "I said I was going to put her on the bench today. We've got to work on your... English."

"Midgardian." I faked Thor's accent to say, earning a chuckle from the god. I smirked for a moment, before reality really hit me. "Wait, why do I need to babysit? Maybe I wanted to g-"

"I need to reevaluate your armor in the lab. There has to be a reason it failed on the shoulder plate. And, because of the injury, allowing you to go without your armor would be way too big of a risk."

I huffed, taking another drink of my coffee.

"I'm just as pleased to be trapped here with you, Darling." I turned as Loki poured himself a cup of tea, sweeping me with another surging static feeling. I was a bit taken aback, but he didn't feel angry to me. Instead, he nearly radiated a feeling of ease, almost content.

"At least I'm pleasant to be around." I replied with an eye roll, hiding my smirk behind my coffee cup.

Loki scoffed, "Pleasant isn't exactly what I'd call it."

"Asshole."

"Language, young lady." Cap warned as he came into the kitchen.

"Why don't you sit out and play babysitter then?" I said with a raised eyebrow. "I can borrow the shield and go with them."

Cap chuckled, his hand resting on my uninjured shoulder. "Come on, Dani. You said you needed some time to finish your paper anyway! Perfect timing, all you have to do is make sure the place doesn't get destroyed."

I rolled my eyes and grabbed a muffin off the counter. "Yeah yeah, whatever."

As they packed up I grabbed my laptop, bringing it to the main room and sitting down on the couch. I rested it on my legs and opened it up as Tony yelled out a goodbye.

"And if Rock of Ages so much as looks like he's thinking of trouble, blast him first and let us ask the questions later. I'm not kidding."

I only hummed in response, rolling my eyes.

"If Loki causes any disruptions, just call for me." Thor leaned down to quietly say to me, touching my hand. "I'll be sure to return quickly and handle him."

I smiled at him, "I'm sure everything will be just fine. I'll keep that in mind, though."

With that, the group left. Almost as soon as they did, Loki went to the bar and poured himself a drink.

"A bit early, don't you think?" I questioned as I took another drink of coffee, though I wasn't sure why I went out of my way to start conversation with him once again.

"I'll need it, being stuck here with you." He teased with a smirk. It was playful and confident, something I, for some reason, was incredibly pleased to see from the god.